RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Camper is drawing on battery and not electrical hook up. Not…

Camper is drawing on...

Camper is drawing on battery and not electrical hook up

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Not leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 268BH 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Reset connection to power source, disconnected battery cable, checked fuse box and changed amp fuse by battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Half of cabin interior lights work, nothing else. Thank you

5/24/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

So are you plugged into power and the draw is occurring?

Robert

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure

When you are plugged into a good power source you should have around 13.5 volts at the battery. The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage.

IF you are plugging into a standard 110 house outlet it can cause problems, if this is the case I would plug the RV in direct with no cords or adapters and see what happens, the power converter needs a good AC supply.

I would next check the converter output, plugged in it should be over 13 volts and never get below 12.2 volts, if the converter was not charging properly it could cause this problem.

I would also look near the battery and make sure you do not have a tripped DC breaker, below is a link for a picture, as a general rule they are 18" from the battery, sometimes you will find one between the converter and battery, you may have a few for other circuits. To test you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, if only one side shows voltage then it is the problem, many have a tiny tab on the short side of the breaker that will pop out when it trips, others are thermal and have no reset on them.

Make sure you also check all the fuses inside you main fuse panel.

Beyond that you might want to see if a local RV mobile tech can come check things out for you.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Breaker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am at a camp site and connected to their power supply.

Maybe have someone at the campground come verify the supply source or plug into another power source and see what happens. IF you do not have a volt meter then you may want to do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at, normally you will get a listing of techs in the area.

As I stated in my detailed response you need to check voltage at the battery and then if the voltage is low on the converter.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will follow up with another service. Thank you

Understand, if you did have a volt meter I could step you through some checks but if you do not have on it would be very difficult to diagnose.

I hope this gets resolved for you.

Have a good week.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
James Davy
Phone call session started