RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We just bought a "new to us" travel trailer which included a…

We just bought a...

We just bought a "new to us" travel trailer which included a Norcold model N811FLT, Serial No. 13213234. At time of viewing the overall unit, it had only been hooked up to electric for a short time, thus while it was getting cold, we weren't able to determine the status of the freezer. Now we've been having trouble with the freezer not freezing ice (even on setting #5.) My husband believes it's a bad door seal on the freezer. IS there a replacement seal for these refrigerators and if so, where can we purchase one?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your Norcold freezer?

To best of our knowledge, it's original to the unit which is a 2012.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold freezer? What have you tried so far?

We've only been in the unit for 2 days (today is our 3rd.) My husband has tried adding paper towels (folded to fit) behind the seal & that HAS corrected the issue of "frost" forming near the door; and we turned the refrigerator setting up to 5 last night around 9 p.m. but today the ice is only 1/2 formed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

With only 2 days experience and no previously disclosed issues from former owner, that's all we know.

5/24/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Not good news on this, the seal is part of the door so the door would need to be replaced, I would contact a place called the Norcold guy, below is a link for you. What you might want to try is get a hair dryer and heat the seal up and then tightly tape the door shut for several hours and then see if the seal reforms. Normally to check the seal you would stick a dollar bill between the seals, it should not want to fall in any areas and have slight resistance when you pull on it.

Hope this helps.

Robert

https://thenorcoldguy.com/blog/norcold-door-seal-replacement-bad-news-people/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank yo u Robert. We will give the hair dryer trick then move from there.

Sounds good.

Have a great day!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You, too

Thanks!

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic