RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We are still getting the "door open for more than 2 minutes"

Customer Question
We are still getting...

We are still getting the "door open for more than 2 minutes" error code no matter what we doo. The beeping keeps my wife awake.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

It's on our Norcold RV fridge.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

The Norcold is a model N640.3F.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We, of course tried shutting the door many ways, soft hard, etc. to no avail. One suggestion was to put a spaces under the bottom hinge. That didn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I think the sensor may be bad. Is there a way to disconnect it?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
5/23/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 11 years. I have responded to over 60,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your Norcold fridge sensor.  I can assist you with this issue. Randall

See the attached link for some suggestions on getting this adjusted so that stops.  Randall  https://www.rvforum.net/threads/norcold-door-ajar.54469/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That didn't offer anything new?

It takes some adjustment to get this corrected.  I would have a dealer or good local mobile tech do this for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It would help if I knew where the sensor was located, the door frame is smooth all around!!!

It is internal and NOT what needs to be adjusted.  See this comment here:  http://If the seals aren't holding you are probably experiencing an abnormal amount of condensation inside the fridge. The light switch is located above the right door. With ours if the right door did not seal completely, the "door ajar" alarm would activate. If I remember right, I was able to stop it by shimming the door where it made contact with the switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have a Norcold that only has a freezer door and fridge door!I tried the washer on the bottom hinge trisc to no avail!

I know that.  The process is the SAME.  Best get a technician to do this for you.

The give Norcold Customer Service a call and discuss this with them.  It is a problem on this model as you are the second person this morning with the same issue!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** I'm sure it is a common problem.

Poor design!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good, I was ready to call Norcold Customer about now anyway!

Chew them out for me, too!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do!Good.

And I would be curious to know what solution they recommend here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll call them later. I don't know if they have anyone online onsunday!I'll let you know what they say.

That would be great.