RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

RV connected to shore power. Gas off. Unit set to Auto. When…

RV connected to shore...

RV connected to shore power. Gas off. Unit set to Auto. When turned on I hear igniter and then approximately 1 minute later check light illuminates and starts beeping

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I’m sorry. IThe refrigerator is a Dometic 2872.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2021 Keystone Outback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Just trying to figure out what’s going on with fridge not working on shore power. Does gas need to be on at startup or should it automatically recognize AC is available.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/12/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Please allow me several mins to type a response

Thanks. Robert

When the RV is plugged into power and the display is set to auto it should want to work on electric, if the circuit board does not sense the AC power the fridge will default to propane, if it fails to light off on propane then the check light comes on.

The fridge turns on with DC power it is needed for the circuit board, this means if the outlet the fridge is plugged into does not have power it will default to propane.

Go to the outside access panel and locate the outlet the fridge is plugged into, make sure the outlet has power, if not check the breakers in the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFI.

If the outlet has power leave the cord unplugged, under the outside access is a circuit board with a cover that comes off, remove the cover and you will see some fuses, one fuse is for the DC side or what allows the fridge to turn on and the other fuse is for the AC side, if the AC fuse is blown the fridge will default to propane.

IF the above is good then I suspect you have a problem with the board, there is a relay that senses the AC power on the board if that relay failed the fridge would default to propane.

Probably want the dealer to look at this if you get to that point as you should be covered under warranty.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks

No problem at all!

If you need more help on this please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Have a great day!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Much appreciated

No problem!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Robert, This glass fuse is the only fuse I see. Looks a little smoked. Where would the other one be? The one in picture is a 2A250V.

That would be the AC fuse, for the DC fuse if the board has one it would be a blade style fuse.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to try to replace this one and see if that fixes it. Thanks

Sounds like a plan!

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic