RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It is not getting cold enough. However the freezer is

It is not getting...

It is not getting cold enough. However the freezer is working fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

It's a dometic model r m 2811

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your Model?

It's in a 1994 pickup camper and probably not a original fridge

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It has been working fine out until a few days ago. Works about the same on gas or electric.

5/8/2021
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
James Davy

Good afternoon welcome to just answer, my name is James.

how long  has it been on? is it level?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have been using it for 5 months. And yes it's level
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Is there one common thermostat for both electric and gas?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in Arizona and it's hot. But it was working fine until recently. Freezer compartment is ok. The refrigerator part is the problem.As far as I know yes. I'm not sure though
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

How it works is the freezer comes to full cool than the lower box cools.

Is there only one knob to turn for both gas and electric to get max cool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has display control panel on the top of the unit. On off, temp set auto, gas, or electricone selectorNo nobs, all push bu
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok give a minute

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was wondering also if I should have the climate control switch set to on or off position, I really don't understand what this does.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

It needs to stay off when on it keeps light on.

Dometic Thermister Repair RM2811 RM2812 RM2820 RM2852 / 62 RM2551 RM 2554 RM2555.

the thermister control the temp..

This is a small  unit and it wont cool good in the heat.

If it does not cool either way than the cooling unit is bad, I would change thermister first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok , location of the thermistor ?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

can you send me a picture of the interior of your refrigerator?

RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

ok thanks

RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Is there a white wire attached to fin

James Davy
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

That's the thermistor, try to take it off and leave it loose and see if it cools better

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll let you know how it's doing in a couple of hours
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

ok thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well frig is down to 33 now. I defrosted it yesterday also. Going to get a new thermistor and install anyway. I was looking at cooling fans. Which do you think would be best for me, a outside fan to help cool coils or inside fan on fins ?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

When you took it loose it went full cold and no temp regulation.

I would replace it , install outside fan and you could use a inside one also. when it is full as it was there not much air circulation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks, ***** ***** longer than normal to cool down and have used it minimally since yesterday. I'm going to use normally today and see what happens. Do you have a part number for the thermistor ? I want to make sure I get the correct one.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

ok give a minute

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit (snip-the-tip.com)