RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Purchased 1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular a couple of days ago.

Second Opinion] Purchased 1997...

Second Opinion] Purchased 1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular a couple of days ago. Took it in to the Dodge dealership to have the once over, as it had some play in the steering and pulled a little when applying the brake at > 55mph. Dodge gave it the once over, and replied with the following repair list: replace both adler arms, drag link from gear to linkage, steering gear, intermediate shaft - rubber and u joint, rear differential service for a total of around $5000...are these repairs worth it on a 1997 Roadtrek? Engine is 126k but as the Dodge mechanic said "it runs like a top"...please advise

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your tire pressure? Is it a steady pull?

Have not checked the tire pressure but assuming the Dodge dealership did

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Dodge?

It is a Roadtrek 190 Popular camper van - engine is Dodge 3500 Maxivan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Purchased 1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular a couple of days ago. Took it in to the Dodge dealership to have the once over, as it had some play in the steering and pulled a little when applying the brake at > 55mph. Dodge gave it the once over, and replied with the following repair list: replace both adler arms, drag link from gear to linkage, steering gear, intermediate shaft - rubber and u joint, rear differential service for a total of around $5000...are these repairs worth it on a 1997 Roadtrek? Engine is 126k but as the Dodge mechanic said "it runs like a top"...please advise

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No - please connect

5/5/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good morning!  My name is ***** ***** I just wanted you to know that your question is important to us here and I didn't want you to think that we hadn't seen it.  I suspect the reason that it didn't get an answer so far is due to the nature of the problem and we may not have a tech here presently that is familiar with this problem or the solution based on the limited information in your question.

I can tell you from what you shared that while those repairs might be necessary or advised for top performance and drivability,  I think the price is excessive.  I am fairly certain that you can get those things done for less than half that amount.  Maybe start with a steering gearbox adjustment and a good alignment and some new Koni or Bilstein shocks and see how that works.

Some of our techs are gone on vacation right now and that might be the reason that you didn't get a response earlier.  Some techs are better on some makes and models than others depending on their experience and where they work.

I hope this information proves useful and at least points you in the right direction.  Randall

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks.

You are most welcome!  Please be safe out there and have a great day.