RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The plastic holder for the upper door pin has broken, and…

The plastic holder for...

The plastic holder for the upper door pin has broken, and now the door is subject to falling off from the top. It's not the metal hinge that's damaged, rather the place where the metal hinge attaches to the top of the door.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Winnebago Travato 59G

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything yet. it looks like I can glue on a half circle of something ;made of tough plastic (like a grommet or a thick washer) to hold the hinge pin in place. But I'm not sure it would work. The door broke when I took off driving with the fridge door open (I forgot to check it was closed).

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I'd like to avoid replacing the whole door, if that's possible.

5/4/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good evening! My name is ***** ***** I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 11 years. I have responded to over 60,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your fridge door hinge.   I can assist you with this issue.   Randall

It would be very helpful here for me to have both the make and model of this fridge AND a photo of the broken area so I can make some recommendations for you.  Thanks!  Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi! I sent photos via text message a few minutes ago. I think they illustrate the situation pretty well. One of the photos shows the make/model of the Dometic. Thanks!

If you don't attach the photos to your response here then I won't get them.  I just need the make and model of the fridge.  That will tell me which door you have.  Randall

The bad news is that this has no separate hinges and that door is very expensive as well.  I would try to find a good used one first.  Or I can check on what we can get you a new one for that would be drop shipped to your location.  See the attached link for a list of all the RV Salvage yards in the country.  Good luck on the search!  I need a Product Number off the data tag for a door part number.  Randall  https://rtrvg.com/blog/2017/07/22/used-rv-parts-and-salvage-yards-by-state/

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Randall, Thanks for your assistance and advice. Luckily for me I have found an RV repair shop near my home, and it looks like they will be able to get the part and effect a repair (knock on wood). I will keep the link you sent me regarding salvage yards, just in case. Thanks again! --Kit

That would be great and thanks for that update on this!  Have a great day and please be safe out there.  Randall