RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2018 Jayco Redhawk, everything powers on except the

2018 Jayco Redhawk, everything...

2018 Jayco Redhawk, everything powers on except the generator. I'm leaning towards a bad fuse. I'm not sure which fuse to look for. All the fuses in the camper are good. Thinking the generator may be controlled by the truck. The generator usage monitor does not lite and when holding down the power switch, I never get a red light to start. There is no noise or sounds like it is trying to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

When you start the generator, you hold the power switch to off until a red light comes on over the switch. I believe this is priming the generator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '18 RV?

2018 Jayco Redhawk on a 2017 Chevy 4500 chasse

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to determine which fuse/breaker controls to generator.

5/2/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.  I see you are having some issues with your generator not wanting to start, is that correct.  Have you tried to start the generator from the set itself.  And what brand of generator are you working with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried by the generator. It is a Cummins OnanCan you tell me which fuse would be controlling the generator?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

what size, 4000 watt ?  Try and start it again without having the remote start switch hooked up.  There is a plug on the inside of the generator on the left side that has 4 wires or so.  Unplug it.

The generator has power coming straight from the house battery.  Do you have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a 4000. Found the remote start wires, disconnected them and still nothing. I do not have a multimeter.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. give me a minute, going to pull up a manual what is the last letter on the model number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R Model 4KY-26100R
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. If my memory serves me correctly, behind the start stop switch, there is a control panel that might have a fuse on it.   the other thing to check is the battery cables on the house battery.  Make sure they are tight and make sure the batteries are full of water.

Make sure your battery disconnect switch is on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The house battery looks good. I found a breaker switch to the right of the generator power switch. I flipped that on and off, but nothing happens.
What is a battery disconnect switch?Looks like the battery disconnect switch is the main power switch. That is on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'm not able to get on today. Thank you for all your help.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The last thing to try without a meter is to look on the generator control panel for a fuse.  I am looking up a parts manual right now.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Look for a inline fuse on the wiring harness of the generator.  You will probably have to remove the cover holding the start stop switch to find it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll take a look. Can you send me a link to a part's manual so I can see how to disassemble the switch? I can get a cover off, but I can't see how to get the switch out.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I will send you a service manual and a parts manual for that price.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thank you. I'll search for maybe an online verison.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

these would be an PDF format.

KevinS121