RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2019 forest river Salem and can't figure out where…

We have a 2019...

We have a 2019 forest river Salem and can't figure out where the bypass valves are to get hot water in the tank

Mechanic's Assistant: The Forest River Mechanic can show you how to do that. Do you have any other details about the vehicle that could be helpful?

We just bought it so not sure of alot of things

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Forest River Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Don't think so....

4/22/2021
RV Mechanic: Joe, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Joe
Joe, RV Mechanic

Hi, my name is***** bypass valves will be found on the back side of the water heater. In winterized mode, you'll find that the valves leading in and out of the heater are closed, and the valve that connects the hot and cold water lines is open. You'll want to be sure that you reverse that configuration.

To access the back of the heater, you will likely need to remove a panel, pull a drawer, or get under a bunk. Find the water heater on the outside of the unit, then look for a panel in the corresponding spot inside.

Here is an image for reference

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok we are trying to locate it....not going well so far....will let you know. Thanks

If you can send me a picture of the inside of the unit that corresponds with where the hwh is I might be able to help more... I might also be able to offer more assistance with your model number

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is a picture after my husband turned the valves. It started making a crackling sound and is leaking outside. My husband said he knows where its leaking and is doing something outside. Im hoping that takes care of it....

From what I can see, the valves are set correctly for dewinterized use. The anode tube should be installed, that is found outside near the bottom of the heater- you'll want to seal the threads with teflon tape prior to installation. After that is installed, you can turn on the water supply and release the air inside of the heater with the temperature/pressure release valve (also outside, toward the top). Once the heater is full of water, you can turn it on and heat it up!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He didn't realize the tank was empty and had turned on the water heater. We turned that off after it made the weird noise but we still don't have hot water. Did he burn something up?

I doubt it, if it was turned off within a couple of minutes. If the water heater is now full (test this by turning on the hot water only at a faucet and make sure that it doesn't "spit" air), you can turn on both electric and gas functions simultaneously to heat the water in the tank faster. You can still count on it taking the better part of a half hour before getting hot water, though.

A word of caution: RV water heaters put out VERY HOT  water - upwards of 190 degrees. PLEASE be careful

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the water heater was on for a few minutes (more than 2) so we are afraid we fried it. Where do you turn on the gas water heater so that we can turn them on at the same time as you said?

The switch should be located near the entrance door to the coach, it should be near or next to the switch for electric operation. These heaters are pretty hearty, don't be overly worried just yet

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband was outside and said it just turned on so we will wait awhile and see if we get hot water. Can you tell we are novices?? Thanks so much

You'll be pro's before you know it! Happy Camping!

Joe
Joe, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If we don't kill each other first! thanks again