RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an issue with a Norcold refrigerator and it is a

I have an issue...

I have an issue with a Norcold refrigerator and it is a 2019

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Norcold fridge? How old is it?

Model #1210SST and serial #29543674

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Let me type out my issue so bare with me

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The refrigerator was working fine on both electric and propane. The electric didn't work after a while as the temperature was rising. I changed it over to LP and it worked fine. I checked the heating rods and both were at 64 ohms. I had 120 volts. As well I felt one of the rods and it was hot when electric was turned on. A few days later I ran out of propane and switched over to the other tank. By that time the temperature had gone up to 61 degrees. The refrigerator would not cool down even after several hours and propane was burning. I made sure the camper was also level and it was. I had to move the camper over to another spot and again leveled it. The propane was running again and this time it started to cool down and is holding staedy at 32 degrees. A little cool but that is fine for the time being. Not sure why it would randomly warm up for no reason both in electric and LP. At leat LP is working but need to have electric working. I ordered a new board as there seems to be enough ammonia or refrigerant in the system otherwise it wouldn't cool otherwise.

4/13/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer.  My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I have been  working on RVs for 35 plus years.  I see you are having issues with your refrig.  Give me a few minutes to respond.

Your ohms are ok on the heating element.  I take it you have good 12v going to the refrig, and you do not see any yellow powder.  The other thing you can try is to move the thermistor on the fins of the refrig to make it cooler or warmer.  I will tell you how in a minute.  I want to verify my information first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi this is what I have explained and you can take it from there.
The refrigerator was working fine on both electric and propane. The electric stopped working after a while as we noticed the temperature was rising and I changed it over to LP and it seemed to work fine. I went back to electric after the temperature dropped and the temperature started to rise again. I disconnected the heating rods from the board after shutting off the electrical to check the OHMS. Both electric heating rods were showing around 64 ohms each. I also checked the voltage for 120 volts. As well I felt one of the rods quickly and it was hot when electric was turned back on but was only able to touch one as they are hard to reach.
A few days later I ran out of propane on one of the tanks and I switched it over to the other tank. By that time the temperature had risen to 61 degrees. The refrigerator would not cool down on the new tank even after several hours and propane was burning as I can see the flames and hear the burners. I made sure the camper was also level. Temperature still did not drop. I had to move the camper anyway over to another spot and again leveled it. The propane continued to run and this time in the new spot it started to cool down and is now holding steady at 32 degrees at the moment. A little cooler than what it should be but that is fine for the time being.
Not sure why it would randomly warm up for no reason in electric and then after a few days in LP. At least the LP is working but need to have electric working.
I ordered a new board as there seems to be enough ammonia or refrigerant in the system otherwise it would not cool otherwise. The random affects I would think could be a board issue as I have had to change these similar boards in HVAC equipment plus in my last two campers also had to change them. They all worked fine but why would it fail so easily after only less than 2 years old? That’s if this is the problem but there is nothing else to the system except a thermistor but I would think that is only for the LP.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Hot hot is it in the area where you are and do you have a good air flow on the back of the refrig?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No yellow powder and have not checked for 12 volts as I thought my refrigerator only worked on 120 volts or LP but not all three from what I understand.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Could also be a bad ground causing this to happen as well.  Doublecheck all your grounds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked vent flow as both fans are running when going to the top panel and removing it.I am not at my camper now but will check the ground
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

On the chimney part, there is a spiral metal inside the flue to help distribute the heat.  If you are on top, you can see the metal clip that holds the spiral in place.  Pull it out and make sure it is complete.  Then reinstall it.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

to adjust the thermistor, Moving it up on the fin gets colder, moving it down, gets warmer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My refrigerator is on the slide out and there is no chimney and that is why there is a bottom vent to gain access to the controls and a top vent to disapate the heat. Both are located on the side of the slide out.I will check the thermistor to make sure it is located properly on the fins but would that prevent the electrical to stop working the fridge?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. you can access the chimney part of the refrig from the top vent.  It is the round cylinder on the right side where your heating elements go into.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw thatAm I able to message you a little later when I am at my camper again?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

yes.  I will be on line most of the day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great I will back to you and check on those items you mentioned when I get to the camper. I would think in about an hour or so. I also have a monitoring temperature sensor that tells me if temperature is to low or high through my app on my phone b
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. I will be here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at the camper and ground is good as well the thermistor on the coils. While on propane it was keeping it pretty cool. In fact frosting the coils which is to cold. Two fans were running to cool down the condenser section. Switched it over to electric and hear nothing of course. But it is electric the heater rods should be energized as well the two fans on top. Can't check the heater rods as I can't find my temperature gun but the fans should run but they aren't.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The fans come on and off at a certain temperature

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I figured but because I am asking for the coldest and at the moment it is 82 degrees out I figure they would have come on by now.82 outside
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Be back in 40 minutes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
An hour gone by
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

I just now got back.   school and gymnastics

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just an update. I replaced the board as well removed the flue baffle and reinstalled it. Temp still warming up on electricI checked electric heating rods and they are good.I have 12 volts on input as well 120 volts
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

those fans might not come on until it gets a little hotter back there.  Let me look at the temperature setting for those fans.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's cool now but I think 130 degreesLimit switch should also self reset otherwise a fault code would come on but screen is blank except for power light which is normal.90 degrees on ambient before kicking on.Didn't have my temperature gun but quickly felt one heater rod and it's hot
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. thank you for the information.  Are all your coils getting hot on the back?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are starting to warm upTemp in fridge is now at 41.8 degrees
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok... Try beating on the coils with a rubber mallet and see if that makes a difference.  You will not see an difference instantly, but maybe in a few hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cycled through the mode again and it now is sitting on AC as there three settingsYou think there might be something lodged in the coils?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

It is possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't be that much restriction as opposed to an AC unit with An orfice or TXV inline
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The actual opening in that coil is very small.  The rest is insulation and the outer tube

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The condenser coil is warm as I can touch with my hand. I assume electric takes longer to cool than LP?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

yes.  sometimes it does.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I have tried everything so I will just have to wait to see if makes any differenceTemperature at 42
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. Refrig take time to cool back down.  Let it work for an hour and check it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

how cool is your refrig now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
37.2 so it's working now in the electricHopefully it stays consistent
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

time will tell.

Glad I could help. I appreciate good ratings for my service today.   If you are not satisfied with my service today, please let me know so I can do better next time. There are also other experts available to help you as well.   Thanks for using Just Answer and have a great day.

Happy RVing

***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No you did great. I just know a lot about refrigeration because I have done it fit 40 plus years but this absorption system was driving me nuts. I was second guessing myself since I have been out of the field for many years and in distribution now.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

no problem.  Glad I was here to help you figure it out.

KevinS121