RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We don’t have hot water, we did all day and now we don’t.

We don’t have hot...

We don’t have hot water, we did all day and now we don’t

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Forest River Salem grand villa 42dL

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Forest River?

2021

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

The circuit breakers and switch are ok,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

We had hot water up until about 1.5 hours ago now it’s warmer than the cold but not much

Answered in 1 hour by:
4/11/2021
RV Mechanic: RandyL45, RV Technician replied 1 year ago
RandyL45
RandyL45, RV Technician

Hello, this is Randy in Texas. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Tell me more about your problem please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey how are you

Im good. How are you this evening?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a forest River grand villa 42DL and the hot water worked all day and not the hot water heater isn't working. It's a 20 gal home hot water heater. I have checked the breaker and pushed the reset behind the panel on the heater.

A home water heater is a pretty simple appliance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's 2 weeks old. Last weekend and this weekend we had hot water until after we did the dishes at 5pm. Still no hot water. And it's 10pm here nowYeah I thought so too. LolWe have water pressure. I pulled the pressure relief valve and the water isn't as cold as the cols water but it is no warmer than 70 degrees.

It sounds like you need a thermostat and or a new heating element for it.

It acted the exact same way last weekend?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Really? It's been used 2'weekends. Last weekend it was fine and all day today it was good until About 5pmThe water is just a bit warmer than the cold. But you couldn't get a shower. Can the heating element go bad that quick?

You might check your bypass valves. You should have 3 valves. The lowest one is the water in to the heater, the top one is the water out. The middle valve allows hot and cold to mix. You want the middle valve in the off position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok hold a second
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They have not moved since we did have hot water a few hours ago. None of the pex is warm and neither is the hot at the top

Ok lets forget these valves for a minute. Up towards the top, where the red line goes into the water heater, grab that steel 90 degree connector and tell me if it is hot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's cold

If its cold than you are not making hot water.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do we need a new element. Or 2?

It should only be a 120 heater. Do you have a volt and ohm meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not here. Someone here will. But they are either drunk or in bed.It is a 120v heater

Its a 120 volt water heater so it will only have 1 heating element.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkWe camp with a bunch of local 798 pipeliners. Most are licensed plumbers and I am sure they can fix it.

When you can test it with a meter, make sure to kill the power to it, get to the heating element and remove either of the wires from it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is if in that panel? And do we have to drain the water first ?Is it in the panel?

With the meter set on ohms, check across the 2 element screws and see if it has continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will get one in the am. I don't have mine here.

Its on the water heater, behind that unscramble panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do they fail this quickly when they are brand new?

You do not need to drain the heater to test the element but you will need to drain it if you remove the element

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If there is electric across it is it working or not?

No it absolutely shouldn't go bad this quickly but you may have gotten a weak one.

Turn the electricity to it completely off for safety. This test is just about continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah. I got it in Indiana and towed it here a couple weeks ago. It worked last weekend and today until about 5pm.Ok I can turn off the breaker and pull the power cord

My meter says "OL" when I set it to ohms, when you touch the leads together it shows continuity. When you put the leads on the 2 screws to the element, if it still says "OL" the element is bad.

If it proves to be good, you need to replace the thermostat and eco (emergency cut off).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will call the manufacturer also. They have a number but don't tell what part it is? Are they all the same?

If you must, with the power disconnected, get it to where you can access all of the wire connections easily with the meter and turn the power back on. Now be careful, if its "hot" it can shock you but use the meter lead to see if 120 volts is going into the thermostat, then check if its leaving the thermostat, then check if its going to the element

There are a few different styles and types. If you decide you need one, drain the heater and take the element to the hardware store with you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok sounds good. I will get one of the guys here to do it. I am a Paramedic. If your sick or hurt I am your guy. Plumbing isn't it.Ok that's a good idea. We have a Home Depot about 15 min away

Excellent, you can find the element most anywhere but if it turns out that you need the thermostat, that is more manufacturer dependent.

Whereas many elements will work, the thermostat needs to be more make and model specific.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have their number also. And I have a warranty. I was hoping it was something silly. But I was thinking it was a failure of the element or the heater

Yes, IF (I say IF) you want to take it back to the dealer, they should fix it for free. But you might have to leave it for a while

You may have to find the make and model on one of the stickers on the heater

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh I have a warranty. They will send someone here. But if it's a $20 part and these guys can do it. I won't bother with their service.I will look.It's just annoying that it is 2 weeks old

There is going to be a lot of that in my world. RVs are built great to start with. Once the demand increased 4 fold, im sure the quality went down.

Sorry, RVs aren't built great

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah and just before we got this Forest River had a big fire at one of their manufacturing facility.Ok well thank you very much for your time and expertise. I will use your advice.

Please let me know what you find tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forest River has great reviews for park models. But the demand in the last year is crazyI will thank you Sir!!

Thank you, ***** ***** the chat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Me too. Stay warm down there.

LOL, except for about a week a year, warm is not a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah we heard about your bad weather. A friend of mine is your state ems director. Joe Schneider. He said it sucked

Im sure he is a smart man, but even the very slowest texans knew how bad it sucked. We aren't made for that type of weather.

My county officials spent that week trying to figure out how to take the trucks they already own and turn them into snow plows

Which they never accomplished

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lol my cousin lived in Laje Whitney. They aren't happy about the coldLake Whitney

Im sure they weren't. Its a beautiful lake though. I have been there twice.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah until last year the lake was 20-30' low.

Water is close to becoming a reason to fight. IM close to lake Travis and there are about 10 communities fighting over rights to drain it dry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah it's crazy. We haven't had a drought here for a few years. But we have a few rivers that all the water comes from.

What state are you in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pennsylvania just north of Philadelphia in Bucks county

Oh goodness, you have enough people up there to seriously test the water system. Down here, who gets water from where is still an ongoing struggle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yeah our infrastructure is usually good.

Your infrastructure was fought out some time ago, ours fight for water is still ongoing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's crazy and your electric grid isn't connected to anyone else

That will be changing soon enough with our "great states" (who don't need supervision) and their great failure. Our leaders like to think they know better until its proven that they don't.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great. Sounds like they just think they can do it all and don't ask for help

Yes, it will destroy us but thats exactly their thinking. Dont ask for help, don't need help, don't want help. Of course as soon as things go wrong, our leaders are mad at the feds for not stepping in sooner

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well they should have a clue after the last few years of hurricanes.

LOL are you seriously expecting a Texas politician to have a clue? Yeah, you're not from around here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get it. We have democratic leadership. And no clue either. The Covid vaccine debacle is horrible with no plan to administer it to any first responders at all.

Its all a mess . Our Governor decided 6 weeks ago that we don't need facemarks any longer, he was immediately sued by all the highly populated counties and we are all still wearing masks.

In Texas, we vote publican. We haven't had a democrat governor since before Bush Jr.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah. It's crazy. And we need 75% immunity before we can get out of the pandemic. How do you have a democrat down there

We don't have elected democrats down here in anything higher than Mayor. I don't think we will anytime soon as they are working on more voter restriction bills

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that's good. We are stuck with a Democrat governor, and that is a pain in the ass.

Ive kind of decided that to much of either side is bad. We need balance. It sounds like you have to much left and we have to much right.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea I am sure

I envy the "battle" states. Nobody comes to Texas or fights for votes here because they know how the state will go.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah it's a thought to move to one like that. I like North Carolina on the outer banks. Every house and boat that cared had a trump flag

Once again a state that is 100% GOP is just as messed up as one that is 100% Dem. It really seems to take a mixture. At least that my humble opinion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah and when these politicians figure out that there ARE and have to be good bipartisan ideas

Yeah were not going anywhere at all until the left and right figure out how to work together. Thats what makes us great.

RandyL45
RandyL45, RV Technician