RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2008 Canyon Star 46,000 miles. Issue: automatic rear driver…

2008 Canyon Star 46,000...

2008 Canyon Star 46,000 miles.
Issue: automatic rear driver side level is stuck in up position. System beeps constantly and when brakes are applied, super loud clutching noise reverberates in the coach. The Levelers are Atwood brand, which have apparently been discontinued and bought by Lippert. When we called, Lippert they said they have "a few parts available" but offered no other suggestions. When manual electric level is engaged,, the 3 other stems are responding correctly. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No. Recently the serpentine belt was replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Canyon yourself? What have you tried so far?

This just happened. Atwood has apparently been sold and parts aren't readily available. I'm trying on my own at first.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I have disconnected the beeping alarm

4/1/2021
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago
BillP310

Good morning,  I'm Bill, one of the RV Tech experts here at Just Answer.  We appreciate you using our service.  The problem you are having is not uncommon on these types of jacks.  Sometimes they can over retract and stick which is what is happening here. Here is the procedure for freeing up a stuck jack from the Atwood service manual.

JACK CONTINUES TO CLUTCH AND WILL NOT TURN OFF Cause:Short jack extension followed by jack retraction. Solution:Put system in error mode by disconnecting one jack from power and pressing RET and ALL. Reconnect jack to power. Manually extend individual jacks for 10 seconds by holding down the EXT key and the two jack keys that make up the camper corner of that jack. Listen to insure all jacks move when manually activated. Press RET and ALL to retract all jacks.

Try that and let me know how you make out.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Bill. We tried the manual suggestion. Didn't work. Any other ideas?
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry to hear that.  Yes,  unplug the jack and carefully turn the hex nut on top of the gear box.  If it doesn't want to go then try the other direction.  A ratchet is handy for this.  Once you get it freed up, use your ratchet to run it down about 1".  Then reconnect the jack and power it up.  You should be able to deploy the jacks now and chances are it will retract normally.  If this doesn't work you're going to have to pull the jack and open it up to see whats happening.  Let me know.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you so much for your help. I'll try this over the weekend.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The leg is not moving.
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

Good morning.  Does the nut on the gearbox move?  Let me know,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We listen to one on top To the point it almost came out of the unit. Then we check and loosened the one on the bottom and nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We were able to manually get the Jack down 3". We followed your instructions and it did not work. It sounds as if it's constantly trying to retract when I hit the brakes. Does that make sense?
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

It sounds like an internal problem in the jack unfortunately.  I would guess something in the clutch mechanism.  Probably going to have to remove it and dig in and see if you see anything obvious.  Sorry you're still having an issue.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, bummer, huh? Is the clutch mechanism hard to replace if I can find a used one? Do you know the part number by chance?
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm going to be out for awhile but I will check and see if any of my connections have a decent source for parts and let you know.   Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Part number would be helpful tooYou've been very helpful
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

Good morning.  I pretty much struck out on replacement parts.  I am attaching a couple of PDF manuals that have a little more info on the system.  I also found some used jacks for sale at Colaw's RV Salvage in MO.  Here's their number:(###) ###-####  Wish I could be of a little more help but that's about all I have.  I wish you the best and thanks again for using our service.  Happy Easter!  Bill

RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

Here is the 2nd manual.  Thanks,  Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You've been very helpful. I do appreciate your insight and effort to help me!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've tried manually lowering the leg, and unplugging the power and pressed fromt+driver+rear+pass+all to reset internal timers then ret+all. Now no legs go down. Is it possible I've somehow need to do a hard reset an if so, do you know how? Ugh... I'm sorry to keep bugging you.Oh and both the red and green lofts are on indicating error mode.
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry, but have not had any luck locating any addional troubleshooting materials for your system.  My next call in your situation would be to Newmar to see if they have some additional info and maybe any spare parts.  Their number is(###) ###-####  I wish you the best.  Thanks,  Bill