RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fridge powers off. 2021 Keystone Montana 3120rl. Fixing it…

Fridge powers off Mechanic's...

Fridge powers off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2021 Keystone Montana 3120rl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, fixing it myself. I replace 5amp fuse. It blew again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes, only the 5amp was blown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The propane option would not start. But 110v ac did, until the fuse blew again.

3/30/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the fridge?

Is the fuse that is blowing in the main fuse panel OR is it on the circuit board for the fridge?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you
Norcold 2118, The 5 amp fuse is on the circuit board in the fridge

Just so I am clear, the fridge will not work on propane and when you go to use electric then the fuse blows?

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuse blew. When it was replaced, the fridge would only start in AC, not propane. when turned on, It ran for a few minutes, then powered off. Fuse blown

Got it.

Please give me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

So I would get a volt meter and verify the DC voltage going into the board, you should have over 12.5 volts DC, the DC voltage is needed to run the board. Set your meter to the AC scale and check the DC supply, you should have close to 0 AC volts on the DC side, the reason for doing this is sometimes a power converter can put out dirty voltage or AC ripple and the board does not like it.

IF you are plugging into a standard 110 outlet with the RV it can cause issues, if this is the case then I would plug the fridge into an outside source with an extension cord and see what happens.

What you can also do is get some 10 or 12 gauge wires stripped back 1/4" on each end of each wire, stick a battery on the ground outside the fridge and hook up power and ground to the board, if the fuse does NOT blow then you have a wiring problem between the interior fuse panel and the fridge. IF the fuse still blows then I suspect the board but if you are under warranty I would have the dealer flip the bill on this.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try your advice. Thank you Robert

No problem at all.

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask your RV question.

Have a great day!

Robert