RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Propane isn't working. 2018 Coachmen Freelander 28BH. I

Customer Question
Propane isn't working Mechanic's...

Propane isn't working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2018 Coachmen Freelander 28BH

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freelander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. I had the furnace and water heater on today, while it was parked in front of my house. when I went back out this evening neither were working. I tried flipping the switch off and on for gas to water heater. and when I did that the gas fault light remained on and I didn't hear the water heater ignite. Then I heard the CO/propane detector beep so I turned everything off and left the vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

On our senor monitor control panel where we check tank levels, turn the water pump on/off, and switch the gas on for the water heater. Just below the Gas water heater switch on that panel there is a light labeled something like Gas (dsi?) fault. and that light remained on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I also did just go back out and looked at the CO/propane detector and didn't hear it beep again, and there's a small green light lit on it. I didn't see any other lights on that detector

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also I checked the propane level and it said 2/3rd full. we just got the propane tank filled yesterday, so it's not that the tank is empty

Make sure you have good DC battery voltage, the reason being is if the voltage gets under 12 volts the appliances can stop working but still may turn on, not only that the LP detector is sensitive to low voltage and may go off if the voltage is low.

IF you have good voltage go to the propane tank and shut the supply valve on the tank, then slowly open it up and try to run the stove burners for several mins, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast on the tank the regulator can lock up and you may not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve and then run the stove.

You may have had a low voltage situation but the lines may now have air in them cycle the valve and then try to get the stove going, if that does not work I might replace the tank regulator.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
battery is low. So I'll plug in to electric, that should resolve?Can I start the engine instead to charge the battery? I don't have the key to where power plug is stored

YES I would plug it in let the battery charge up.

I am not sure if your RV charges the house battery off the alternator, that may work start the engine and let it run and let then re-check the voltage.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The furnace turned on once I started the engine. Low battery was it. Thanks!

Glad I could help some, your detailed question led me to believe it was low voltage.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks you too!

Thanks!

Robert