RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My 2118x only6 months old quit cooling at all in fridge but…

My 2118x only6...

My 2118x only6 months old quit cooling at all in fridge but freezer still works, I have no codes

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge?

Norcold 2118x

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Couple days. Turned it off 24 hours and restarted

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It has been parked this hole time so it has been level

3/23/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Normally when you get no cooling in the box on both LP and AC power the thermistor, cooling unit and fans are the most suspect components.

The thermistor can be ohmed out to see if it is good or not, one end sits on a back fin and will go to a connector, disconnect it, stick the end on the fin in a cup of ice water, wait about 5 mins and then take a reading, you should have 30-32 ohms, below is a link for a service manual as well see page 24.

This model should also have some fans, they should be cycling on and off, if they are not coming on it would be an issue, the service manual goes into details about the fans.

The cooling unit is suspect as well, the freezer will always get cold long before the box has a chance to so it is very possible to have a cooling unit problem with the freezer still working. What you may want to try is tap the coils with a rubber mallet and then run the fridge for several hours and see if it starts cooling. No guaranties in doing that, sometimes it can get the ammonia solution circulating again.

Also if you are under warranty I might not touch this and have the dealer look at it, if they see it has been messed with they can pin the blame on you and not cover the warranty, have seen that happen many times over the years, play the warranty card if you have it.

Robert

Service Manual.

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/637026B_SM_2118.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fans are operating fine in fridge and freezer. I will try tapping on coils, sounds like maybe it needs to be burped from what I have read. We are in Mexico so dealer is not an option

Yes sometimes tapping the coils or pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end then letting it stand upright level for several hours will sometimes get them going again.

Understand on the dealer situation.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You DA. man Robert. The tapping on the coils temperature is starting downward. Thank you

That is great news!

Thanks for the update!

Robert