RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Domestic frig heating element get hot but does not cool.

Customer Question
Domestic frig heating element...

Domestic frig heating element get hot but does not cool

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge? How old is it?

Domestic mod#dm2852RBX new 2014

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your refrigerator? What have you tried so far?

Replaced heating element

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

??

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Element get hot but no cooling after 8hours

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you tried running the fridge on propane and does the box get cold using propane after 8 hours?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Runs on propane but box doesn’t cool

IF the box does not cool on BOTH LP and AC power it can be the thermistor or cooling unit.

What you can do to trick the fridge is disconnect the thermistor, doing this will put the fridge into a full cooling cycle and the box should get very cold after several hours, the thermistor plugs into the circuit board which is located under the outside access panel and is a two wire connector marked P-2 on the board.

IF the box does not get cold then the cooling unit is suspect, inside the cooling unit is an ammonia solution when it leaks out OR stops circulating you loose cooling in the box. For a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back side of the fridge. For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on BOTH sources, if it cools on one source and not the other then it is normally not a cooling unit problem. What you can do is get a rubber mallet and tap the cooling unit coils and let the fridge run for several hours. Also pulling the fridge, flipping it end over end and letting it stand upright for several hours and see if the cooling comes back.

I started typing this before I saw your response and all of this applies with the no cooling on both sources.

Robert