RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2018 holiday Rambler 36' Vacationer that we bought…

Customer Question
We have a 2018...

We have a 2018 holiday Rambler 36' Vacationer that we bought in October 2019. It had 3500 miles on it. From the beginning we have had a problem with the chassis battery going dead after 2 or 3 days of being on shore power. It appears the coach interior lights are drawing on the Chassis battery (1) instead of the coach batteries (4) Is this correct. We have replaced batteries on the coach and the chassis. We use the inverter when when are on the road but immediatel turn it off when we hook up 50 amp. After about 5 or 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

It really doesnt explain much

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Chassis yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have had the coach into a dealer in Reno and they did find a connection which they replaced. We have had iinto them since Feb 16th and Im told they cannot find any shorts or draws. I suppose my biggest question is should the coach lights work off the house batteries and not the chassis?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

The have checked the inverter and its working fine. After we hook to shore power I have to turn the the inverter back on and then off to get the Refrigerator and microwave to turn on to shore power

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
3/3/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you

So the interior should only be powered off the house batteries, the circuit is sperate so it sounds like you have a problem with the chassis battery running down.

The main components that can cause that is if you have a bad battery isolator or battery boost solenoid, your engine should charge both the chassis and house batteries from the alternator via a battery isolator or solenoid, if that isolator or solenoid failed the chassis battery may run down as the system thinks the batteries are connected when they are not.

Some RV's also will charge the chassis battery when you are plugged into power, Monaco was a bit strange on this as some years they did but not all models and some years no models at all. I can try and take a look to see how yours is set up.

What you may want to consider for the time being is adding a Trik L start system which would allow the chassis battery to get a charge when you are plugged into power.

A draw test should have been done as well this is done with an amp meter to see the amount of draw the chassis battery is pulling, then you would start pulling fuses until the amp draw drops out.

I will take a look and see if your chassis battery should charge when plugged in, it will take me several mins to take a look.

Robert

So yes the chassis battery should be getting a charge when plugged into power, I suspect the solenoid that does the charging is the problem, both disconnect switches need to be ON to charge the batteries, below is what it says for your model.

If AC power is available: The house and chassis battery disconnect switches should remain on. The inverter will charge both the house and chassis battery banks. 30 Amp shore power service will be more than adequate.

I might find another shop that has some background with Monaco's as the component that allows the chassis battery to charge when plugged in is most likely the issue.

Robert