RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I plugged the camper into 220 volt instead of 110. No fuses…

I plugged the camper...

I plugged the camper into 220 volt instead of 110. No fuses blew but wife said it sparked inside. The tv, microwave, fridge, and 12 volt lights do not work. Where should I check for the power supply? The 110 volt plugs still work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes they are the correct amp and no circuit breakers tripped

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Coachmen Catalina 263 RLS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the breakers, fuses and tested the wall plugs for voltage. I would like to fix it myself

2/25/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be. I have been working on RVs for 35 plus years. I see you hooked up to the wrong type of electricity. The power converter probably blew. It is normally below the fuses and breakers. I would suggest getting a ground fault plug tester to test all your outlets and It is possible that the boards on the TV, microwave, fridge got fried. The only way to know for sure is to run some test on the system. Do you have a multimeter?

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. First show me what you hooked up to and how you did it please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a 30 amp 220 volt outlet in the garage that had the same pattern as the plug. So I plugged the RV power cord into it. It sparked and my wife sitting in the camper said it sparked inside.I wonder about the a/c, furnace, water heater and pump. The 12 volt lights work on battery but not when plugged in 110 with a small cord and adapter
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. you plugged into the dryer plug. Are you plugged in now, go to the power center and use your meter to measure the voltage on Ac and dc. Remove the cover over the breakers and fuses. Measure 120vac first. Put the black probe on the white wire (ground) and put your red probe on the breakers and check for voltage on the screws of the breakers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
120 volts
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Thats good. Now turn your meter to 20vdc and check your fuses. If the converter is working, you will have 13.5 to 14 vdc on the fuses. There are 40 amp fuses that are the main ones. check them first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12 volts dc across auto type fusesAll are good
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

What is your voltage showing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should my RV battery be disconnected to do the 12 volt dc checks?12 volts
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok.. that is telling me the converter is bad. Is there a vented door under the fuses and breakers? That is where the converter is .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is the converter silver colored with fins on it?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

that would be it. Do you have 120v going in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I have about 25 Ac
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

trace the wire back to the breaker and check voltage there. make sure you are on AC on your tester.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
120 V at converter breakerSorry I have 120 V going into the converter on a small green and black wire
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

ok. but nothing going out to the fuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 12 V going out and 12 V at the fuses and fuse block, the large wires red and white. This is DC voltage
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

yes, but that is coming from your batteries. the converter has been shorted out, and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. After that replaced then do I check the other items to see if they work i.e. fridge microwave furnace water heater water pumpAnd air conditioner?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

the microwave is 120v. The furnace and water pump are 12vdc only. The water heater could be both AC and DC. I would check all the outlets with this device.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OP.mAZsbTzaChz%2bQQ474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=96&h=96

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Depending on your unit, Thermostat could require 12v to operate as well for the A/C and the furnace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the fridge require Only one 10 or does it also require 12 V?120 volt ac I meanNot 110
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The refrig will require 12vdc. There are fuses on the back side of the refrig.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

My pleasure. I will be on line all day tomorrow if you need further assistance.

amazon has the converters available. if you give me the make and model # of your power center, I will give you link to it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will pull it out tomorrow to get the #
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

The make and model # are on the door

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WFCO WF-8955PEC
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Does that help you?

KevinS121
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

My pleasure. Have a great evening and if you need me, just continue on this message board.

Thanks for using Just answer.

Happy RVing

***** *****