RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Howdy. I've been getting air flow fault warnings on my

Customer Question
I've been getting air...

I've been getting air flow fault warnings on my Atwood furnace. I've cleaned the sail switch, but keep getting LP fault warnings on my LP/CO2 detector. Wondering if I need to replace the detector

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?

Last couple times I've taken it out. The detector has a July '16 manuf date

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '16 RV?

Off Road Popi Up Raven sorry, Four Wheel Popup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Cleaned the sale switch. New lp tanks "Sail" switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
2/22/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok great. Thanks.

So it should not matter with the air flow fault as that is telling you that the furnace is not sparking. IF it was a propane issue the electrode would still spark but you would get a different fault. One thing both have in common is low battery voltage. If the battery voltage is dropping off after the fan comes on it can be a problem. The LP detector can go off for low battery voltage and the furnace fan may not spin fast enough to close the sail switch if the voltage is under 12 volts, I would have the battery load tested to start off on this.

Typically you would smell the additive in the propane if you have a leak, smell in the lower cabinets as propane will sink to the floor level, make sure no aerosols are being used, sometimes the chemicals in dog food can set them off if placed directly under the detector.

IF you have good battery voltage, no leaks then I would replace the detector, these detectors should be replaced every 5 years as the sensor inside can get weak if it has never been replaced then it is time anyways.

IF the furnace is not sparking and you inspected the sail switch I would next have the board tested, most good RV shops will have a special board tester and can tell if the board is bad or not, these boards do fail.

Also if the furnace has not been run in a long time might want to blow out the exhaust, sometimes mud daubers can get inside the burner and when this happens the air flow is not correct, typically you see this when a RV sits for the summer.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had thought perhaps battery too. I have a solar system hooked up to 2 batteries. Sometimes the voltage dips below 12.5, but I haven't seen it get to "low". I had unhooked the detector because it only seemed to go off in the middle of the night (fault not alarm) and did so when the LP system wasn't even hooked up any longer. I just hooked the detector back up after sitting in my garage unhooked for several months and immediately got a blinking fault light. Would this be a better indication of a faulty detector? Will the furnace start even if I have the detector disconnected??

I would have the battery load tested to rule out both problems.

The furnace would still try and fire off without the propane, this means the fan would come on and it would spark but never light off. With it not sparking the propane is out of the picture so you could have two issues here, the one thing in common is the battery, the fault you are getting for the furnace and the detector going off, the detector will chirp if the voltage is low, so have the battery load tested and go from there, most auto parts stores can load test the battery for free.

IF you want to get back to me that is fine as well, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now my battery charge is floating as it is fully charged. I was wondering if the furnace would light w/o the detector hooked up (not the propane, obviously won't light w/o gas). Since I immediacy got a LP fault as soon as I plugged it back in (no LP hooked up and full battery) would that be a better indicator of the detector being back? Manufacture date shows 4 years old.sorry, "detector being ""bad"" ... darn
autocorrect.

Some RV's have a solenoid near the tank and when the detector trips it cuts the flow of propane into the RV, some do not have that solenoid, if you can light the stove off with it disconnected then the furnace should be working hope that makes sense.

Again the key here is you said the fault is airflow, for an airflow fault the electrode should not spark you need spark and gas for the furnace to light off, so for an air flow fault the electrode will never spark has nothing at all to do with the propane, if you had an ignition lock out fault it would be different.
Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, let me see if the stove will light w the detector off. Thanks for your help. I may have to ask again. With the battery showing fully charged, the only thing I can figure is the detector. Oh, I should mention too, should have before, I could get the furnace to light no problem when I took the outside cover off of the furnace. This was how I got to the sail switch. But this seemed to persist even after I cleaned the sail switch, ie, the furnace would light with the cover off, but then I would get the faults with the cover on

Understand, I have to go by what you are saying, an air flow fault is normally a faulty sail switch, blocked burner, low DC battery voltage, or the circuit board. It sounds to me if the battery is good under a load you may have two problems here, again the furnace does not care if propane is present or not FOR THE FAULT you are seeing, it should still be sparking with or with out the propane or the detector tripped, if it was sparking then different story, hope this makes sense.

IF you want to check some things out and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert