RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Refrigerator won’t cool. 2015 Blueridge fifth wheel. Great.

Customer Question
Refrigerator won’t cool Mechanic's...

Refrigerator won’t cool

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Blueridge fifth wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Great

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We want to... we changed the fuse inside, checked the boiler is getting hot, the plug is good , looked for ammonia couldn’t see any, made sure no nest in outside panel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Um I don’t think so

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
2/22/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have the make and model of the fridge?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dometic

IF you get NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC power then it is normally a fan issue, cooling unit blockage/rupture, or the thermistor.

Some models have fans and they should be cycling on and off, as a general rule if your fridge is in a slide out it should have fans.

The thermistor could also be at fault, it can be ohmed out but would need the make and model of the fridge to give you specs.

Finally the cooling unit, a cooling unit can become blocked and what this means is the ammonia solution has stopped circulating around the coils, when this happens you loose cooling. This past week we have seen a large amount of fridge questions due to the very cold weather and cooling units failing. When it gets very cold you can loose heat transfer and the ammonia solution stops circulating, normally when a cooling unit is blocked it needs to be replaced, tapping on the coils with a rubber mallet or pulling the fridge, flipping it end over end and letting it sit level, upright for several hours may help.

IF you need more help please let me know.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

No problem at all.

Have a great day.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I physically have to pull the frig out of the inside or can I check all this out sideit’s in a slide and it got down to -5 here last week

The fan would be on the back side of the fridge and hard to see if it is installed, you should hear it cycling on and off.

Try to tap the coils that zig zag back and forth the best you can, it may be hard to get to the upper coils with the fridge installed.

Finally you can pull the fridge and flip it end over end, I helped an owner Friday and he told me yesterday that flipping the fridge got his cooling again but there are no guaranties.

IF you have a DM model you might also want to disconnect the thermistor from the circuit board and let the fridge run several hours, doing this will put the fridge into a full cooling cycle. The circuit board is under the outside access panel and the thermistor is normally the P-2 connector which is two wires.

IF you need more help please respond back with the model number.

Robert

Yes that is a DM model you can disconnect the thermistor from the board, let the fridge run for several hours and see if the box cools, if the box cools then I would replace the thermistor. The thermistor is the P-2 connector on the circuit board which is located under the outside access panel.

IF that does not work tap the coils the best you can and as a last resort pull the fridge, flip it let it stand upright level for several hours and see if it cools, if not the cooling unit would need to be replaced.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll let you know
I appreciate your help!!

No problem at all!

Robert