RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Not cooling, neither electric or gas. Norcold n811flt about…

Customer Question
Not cooling, neither...

Not cooling, neither electric or gas

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?

Norcold n811flt about 2 yearsold

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold appliance? What have you tried so far?

This started sometime over night. Switched to gas, burner going. Bottom of the coils cold

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Here in Georgtown Texas very cold last week

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
2/19/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

If the temp has come up and you are getting no cooling on BOTH LP AND AC power the suspect components are the thermistor and cooling unit.

If it is still very cold it could play a factor, when it gets near 0 F or below you can actually loose cooling in the box due to lack of heat transfer, for that a drop light on the back side of the fridge may help.

What you can also do is disconnect the thermistor, it shares the connector in the box with the light, when you disconnect it the fridge will go into a full cooling cycle, if nothing happens after several hours then the cooling unit is suspect, normally when a cooling unit becomes blocked it needs to be replaced. You can try tapping the coils with a rubber mallet or pull the fridge flip it end over end and let it stand level upright for several hours and then see if it will start cooling, no guaranties doing that but it would be worth a try. When the ammonia solution stops circulating you loose cooling in the box, the freezer may still work as it will get cold long before the box will, If the coils are cold it is a sign of the cooling unit blockage, if you smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge then it has ruptured. For a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH sources.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert