RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The water heater wont heat. The DSI FLT light is on (and…

The water heater wont...

The water heater wont heat . The DSI FLT light is on (and stays on even when I turn heater off). There is plenty of propane.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Gas water heater and DSI FLT

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Dutchmen voltage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just made sure there was propane. Tired turning it off and back on. Wont even heat if I turn on electric

2/12/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you go to the outside access and access the back of the water heater and tell me if you can hear the electrode sparking when you turn the water heater switch ON? Is this an Atwood/Dometic or Suburban water heater? If needed you can send photos using the paper clip icon on the page.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Hold on

10-4 take your time.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's an Atwood. I dont hear any spark when I turn on gas water heater switch. Not that the DSI FLT light wont go off. Also, it won't even heat with electric switch on . Aren't gas and elec totally independent?

Yes it sounds like you may have a bad circuit board if it is not working on electric, some other items can be checked as well please give me a few mins to respond.

Robert

Go to the board on the backside of the water heater and pull the connector, get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the board, sometimes this can be a weak link.

IF you look under the outside access panel you should see a BROWN wire with a section of clear plastic over it, under the clear plastic is a high temp and when that blows the water heater will not do anything. Make sure you have continuity through the high temp, if needed you can remove it and hook it up without the link and see what happens, do this ONLY for testing as that is a safety.

IF the link is good on the brown wire I suspect the board has failed, these boards can fail and most good RV shops can test the board with a special board tester.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, Hold on Robert. I have a mutlimeter so I will buzz out the high temp

Sounds good, that would be the only item that would prevent the spark unless the board is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You rock, Robert ! Eraser did the trick - coulda knocked me over with a featherSInce I have you , what about my gas furnace? Is there a similar thing there?The blower comes on and runs for 20 seconds., but shuts off when no heat

We normally answer per issue....

Can you hear the electrode sparking AFTER the fan comes on?

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I still talk to him?I will pay again.

You should be able to rate this question and then open another question and request me.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already rated himMe again Robert! How about helping me troubleshoot my furnace - same problem - just won't light

I sent you a premium service offer accepting that would allow me to get more credit for the furnace issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, I said "No thanks", but changed my mind now. Please send it again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I accepted premium service. Now what?

The key for the furnace will be if you can hear it sparking, start the furnace and then go outside and listen for the electrode and then let me know.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I already tried that - no spark

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response, lots to cover or type.

The no sparking is the key. As the fan comes up to speed it blows on a sail switch which is located inside the blower motor housing, once the sail switch closes from the air from the fan it passes voltage to the circuit board only then will you get spark.

Check your battery voltage the reason being is if the voltage is under 12 volts DC the fan will still come on but may not blow fast enough to close the sail switch.

The sail switch and board are also suspect, sometimes lint can get between the paddle and micro switch and not make full contact. The problem is the blower motor housing may need to come apart and if you have no access the furnace may need to be pulled. On some models the sail switch is actually screwed down to the blower motor housing and pulls right out, other models the blower motor housing needs to come apart. IF you have access to the circuit board I would remove it and have a local RV shop test the board with a special board tester before digging into the sail switch, these board can fail.

When checking the sail switch you want continuity through it when the paddle makes contact with the microswitch.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright, well , this one sounds like it's not going to get resolved so easily,, but good information anyway. THanks

Glad I could help out.

Have a great weekend!

Robert