RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold fridge not working, light on black box not lit,

Norcold fridge not working...

Norcold fridge not working, light on black box not lit, tried magnet trick, heard a click, fridge came on but didn't stay on. red light still not on

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this clicking been going on? Any leaking?

Only clicked one time with magnet, then fridge quit beeping, but didn't last long, maybe 10 minutes fridge back beeping. no red light on

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2007 itasca ellipse. light has come on before on black box clamped in fridge backside. took a magnet and reset. this time red light is not on but when using magnet you could hear a click and fridge quit beeping and turned on, but could hear unit running

2/3/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I understand you have an issue with your refrig. Do you know what the dc voltage is going to the refrig.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no but other dc devices are good. it has been plugged in for months to 110. fridge was working fine. several months ago, i had to reset with magnet on black box to restart. this time red light is not on, but when i used magnet i heard a click, and fridge stopped beeping and came on but compressor or fans, nor red light came on..minutes later fridge is beeping again.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok... that refrig does not have a compressor. It does have a heating element for the 120v side and then works on gas. There could be a blown fuse on the control board. If you have a multimeter, then you can check some key places on the refrig.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is out of lp, would that be an issue.. ? generally haven't kept lp, as we only use generator when not plugged in.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

If you are trying to run it on gas.. yes. If you are running it on electric, then no.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, we only run on ac. so a blown fuse may cause redlight to not light up on black box when in fault mode? checked ac voltage plug, it is good. so guess i need to look for fuses, even though i didn't see any.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

Need to take the cover off of control board and look for a fuse. Do you have a multimeter? Do you have a light on inside refrig?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do have multimeter.. yes light is on inside fridge. fridge came on with no code momentarily after magnet trick, but never started up, just quit beeping like it was gonna work..
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

ok... use the multimeter to measure your 12vdc voltage going to the control board. Check your grounds and also check the water in your batteries.

KevinS121
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, will do. all the coach lights inside work fine, but i can check batteries. my wife said light came on inside fridge after i reset magnet, before that no lights, it was just beeping.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 1 year ago

ok... standing by.