RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2011 Forest River Wildcat 5th wheel. The furnace…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2011 Forest River Wildcat 5th wheel. The furnace started making clicking sounds, so I turned it off. But now the inside lights don't work (or are very dim) and the refrigerator doesn't work. The outlets work. Any help is appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi there. How long has this been going on with your interior lights? Do they flicker at all?

Since Monday. They don't flicker. They either don't come on or are very dim.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the model of your 2011 Forest River?

31 rear kitchen

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm not currently at the trailer

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/28/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover on this.

Robert

It sounds like the power converter is failing. When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage. The voltage at the batteries should be around 13.5 volts DC plugged in.

I would start by having the batteries load tested, if the batteries are in poor condition they may not accept a charge, most auto parts stores will load test them for free.

IF the batteries are good I would next look for a tripped DC breaker sometimes on the cable from the converter to the battery you will fine one, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery, below is a picture of one style. To test you would want to see good DC voltage on each side of the breaker to chassis ground, if one side shows high voltage and the other side low voltage then it is the problem, some have a tiny reset on the short side of the breaker and others are thermal, see link for picture below. You may have a few breakers for other circuits as well.

Finally the power converter could have failed, it will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone style can be about anywhere in the RV, you may hear the fan running on it plugged into power. If it is built into the fuse/breaker panel you will normally see two or three fuses away from the others. The stand alone style will have fuses on it. Could be in back of the breaker panel, under the fridge, stove etc, very hard to say as it changes per year and floor plan.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Silly question, but where are the batteries?Thanks for your help

They should be up front where you hook the tow vehicle up, they may have covers over them with a vent hose.

Robert

If you want to check things out and get back to me that is fine as well, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic