RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an atwood furnace. The circuit board was not working.

Customer Question
I have an atwood...

I have an atwood furnace. The circuit board was not working. I replaced it and the blower would not come on. The circuit board has a green light that comes on when I turn on the thermostat but the blower will not start. I have pushed the reset button but still nothing happens.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

There is a small light that is on the circuit board. When I took the circuit board back to have it tested this small green light would turn red after 15 seconds to show that it would turn the propane to start the burner.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 Jayco Precept

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. I have taken the power going to the circuit board and hooked it to took the blower wire directly and the blower will come on. I have reset the button still nothing happens

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
1/21/2021
RV Mechanic: Nachum Wagschal, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Nachum Wagschal
Nachum Wagschal, RV Mechanic

Good morning.

It sounds like you furnace isn't getting the command from the thermostat to turn on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that sounds like the problem. The thermostat is making the click sound and the green light on the circuit board is on showing that there is power to the circuit boardThe thermostat is sending power because the circuit board light comes on.I also tested the volts coming into the circuit board. It is 13.2 volts.
If the blower doesn’t come on it isn’t starting the cycle to ignite
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I start the cycle ?

the thermostat should do that , what model number is ***** furnace ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AFMD35

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Atwood-Mobile_Service-Training-Manual-2015.pdf

Take a look at page 30 for the sequence of operations , i need to run out for a few ill be back

Here is a smaller manual more specific towards yours . you should be able to connect the 2 blue wires going to the thermostat together for testing purposed to eliminate the thermostat.

Let me know if you have more questions about it

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Furnace-Installation-Manual-for-Medium-Furnaces.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the green light is on on the circuit board would that mean that the thermostat is working.

So the green light goes off when you turn the thermostat up ?

you should have power to the unit of 12 volts and power from the thermostat of 12 volts requesting heat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 13.2 volts from both.
The new circuit board I have is from dinosaur.
Could there be a relay on the board that is not compatible with this atwood furnace

It sounds like it may be the wrong circuit board . did you look at the wiring diagram in that manual ?

Is that board from a 110 volt furnace ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. It is 12 volt.I took the board into a rv parts and it is exactly like one I replaced.

Have you double checked that all the wires are connected properly to the board ?is it sending power to the blower motor ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not sending power to the blower. Both the thermostat and the battery are sending power to the circuit board
Was this a new board ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A dinosaur circuit board. I already took it back to check if the board was defected. He said it worked fine on the test.
I would say there is something wrong with the board if it installed properly , you may have to take the furnace with the board in to have them check it .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is installed properly. Each wire can only fit in one place. It is strange.

If you put your old board back in with the blower try coming on ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I put my old board back in the red light flashes once every 3 sec. The diagnostic says it is air flow/ limit fault.What would I test for that?

That would indicate the sail switch or limit switch

But the blower needs to be coming on before it will indicate that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's what I thought. I tested the limit switch and it is working.

how about the sail switch

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I test the sail switch. Would there be 12 volt power to the sail switch before the blower comes on ?
Or do i test with ohms ?

It should be open till the fan comes on and then it would close .

Sail switch

The sail switch is an on/off device. (normally in the off position) It gets it's name from the "sail" or paddle that is attached to the switch mechanism. As the blower comes up to speed, it blows air onto the sail with enough force to push the switch closed, thus allowing electrical current to flow to the next component in line.

It's job is to determine if there is adequate air flow for proper combustion to take place. If the battery voltage is low or the fan does not come up to 75 per cent of it's design speed, the sail switch will not close.

Possible causes of this malfunction are: low battery, restricted return air inflow, restricted or inadequate outlet vents, restricted combustion air inlet or exhaust, faulty sail switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tested sail switch it is open. Combustion outlet is fine. Where does the furnace take IN combustion air flow ?

It usually also comes from outside