RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I’m having some issues with the battery/electrical, slide…

Customer Question
I’m having some issues...

I’m having some issues with the battery/electrical, slide outs and heater. I’m a first timer owing a travel trailer and needing to iron out some issues on my used trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

It’s not the coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2007 Keystone Hornet 32bhds

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Refilled propane tanks, getting battery tested and charged, but I have all the same issues with power even when trailer is plugged in

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
1/7/2021
RV Mechanic: TerryC1117, RVTI Master certified replied 1 year ago
TerryC1117
TerryC1117, RVTI Master certified

Hello my name is***** can I help you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Terry. Thanks for responding.I am a first time owner of a used camper travel trailer. It is a 2007 keystone hornet 32BHDS. It is currently plugged in to external power, when I test the battery from inside the camper it says 2/3. I am running into a couple significant issues.1) for whatever reason my slide outs are not operating as normal. They seem to be going extremely slow and not getting enough power, and then the alarm goes off after a couple seconds of trying to operate them.2) I cannot seem to get my heater to stay on. I have refilled the propane tanks I have tried to restart the system and it would turn on momentarily but did not light. Now it seems to not even come on.All of this was working fine and I have no idea what changed to make them stop working.Needed some help troubleshooting. This camper is a fixer-upper for us and so I knew it needed work.Well, never mind on that. After all the checking around I believe my kids knocked the power cord out from the outlet.Very bizarre tho about the slide outs asI believe I had that issue before the cable would've come out of the outlet… What would cause the slide outs to go so slow and to set off an alarm until I stop pushing the slide out operation button? I just can't understand why they worked before, then didn't work, and now are working again.

The unit has an on board converter.it is what charges the batteries when plugged into shore power. You may be having an issue with the charge circuit of the converter. If you have a volt meter you can check this right at the batteries. While plugged into shore power take a reading at the batteries. One lead on positive post and the other on the negative post. You should be reading about 13.5 VDC. Unplug the trailer from shore power. Take the same reading at the batteries. That will give you the battery voltage. Fully charged battery is 12.6 VDC. You may also have a bad battery. Make sure the water levels are up in each cell. Unless it's a maintenance free battery.

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert.

The expert has appeared to opt out of the question.

IF the RV cord came unplugged then you would just be running off the battery, things would work until the voltage gets under 12 volts DC, as the power converter charges the battery. When plugged into power you should have over 13 volts DC. I might invest in a volt meter and verify the charge is over 13 volts when you are plugged in. The voltage should be 12.5 volts to 14.5 volts plugged running off the battery it should not get under 12 volts.

IF you still need help on this issue in the coming days please feel free to reach out to me. I am around daily and respond when I can.

Have a great weekend.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's great, thank you. I did get a response from the other expert as well.I haven't found the converter yet, although everything seems to be working now that it's plugged in, I wonder if I should check it and clean it? I bought this camper for cheap knowing it would need some work. The other item I haven't found is the hydraulic tank and motor for slides. Suggestions on where to find those?

Locations are very hard to know as they change per year and floor plan.

The power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet.

IF you see two fuses away from the others in the main fuse panel inside the RV then the converter is built into the fuse/breaker panel.

The other style is a stand alone converter, they are normally close to the breaker panel.

A clue would be the fan on the converter, you should be able to hear the fan running when the RV is plugged into power and you are using a good load in the RV, the fan will cycle on and off.

Hit the slide room switch and listen for the pump/motor, then go to that area, the tank will be connected to the pump/motor if you have hydraulic slides.

Robert