RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Refrigerator. 2015 keystone laredo. Trying to tested lp,

Customer Question
Refrigerator Mechanic's Assistant: What...

Refrigerator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 keystone laredo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to tested lp, ac,fuses. Unit starts to cool then shuts down

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Don’t know how to do that. Appears to be no leakage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Np

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
1/2/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have the make and model of the fridge? When you say shuts down does the fridge turn OFF (no display lights or interior light) or are you getting a fault on the display?

Thanks, Robert

Without the information requested I can only give you a general idea of the problem.
IF you have a Dometic or Norcold and the fridge is shutting off meaning no interior light or display lights the first step would be to check the DC voltage at the back of the fridge. The voltage needs to be over 12 volts for the fridge to run, the DC voltage is required to run the board.

IF you are getting a fault on the display you will normally have a flashing light or it will show a code, if the lights are not going off but the fridge stops working it could be a tripped high limit or something going on with the thermistor or cooling unit.

Get me the make and model of the fridge and I can still try and help you on this, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dometic DM2852lbx. All lights stay on. None blinking.

OK, please allow me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

IF you are losing cooling in the box and the lights are not turning off and you have tried running the fridge on both AC power and LP for at least 8 hours then the thermistor and cooling unit are suspect. What you can do next is disconnect the thermistor from the circuit board and let the fridge run for several hours, when you disconnect the thermistor it should put the fridge into a full cooling cycle. One end sits inside the box on a back fin and the other end plugs into the circuit board under the outside access panel, the circuit board has a plastic cover, the thermistor is the two wire connector on the board marked P-2.

IF you get no cooling with that disconnect the cooling unit is suspect, a cooling unit can rupture or become blocked. For a rupture you would show signs, smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge.

For a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on BOTH sources, once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced. Make sure the fridge is level, you can also try tapping the cooling unit coils with a rubber mallet, sometimes this will get the ammonia soultion circulating again. Pulling the fridge and flipping it end over end and letting it stand upright level for about 12 hours may also help.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Robert