RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Inverter is showing fault. 2018 discovery luxe lxe the shore…

Inverter is showing fault. ...

Inverter is showing fault.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2018 discovery luxe lxe the shore power is not charging house batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

It does not appear to be leaking and the battery shows 13v on the generator everything works fine and the batteries charge but on shore power 50amp the charger for the batteries shows disabled

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am parked so I am trying to troubleshoot the issue because it was all working up till an hour ago when the batter voltage dropped below 11.8 the coach went dark even though I was plugged in so now on my main panel I show 50 amps coming in the inverter is on .... normally it’s on pass through and the charger shows disabled and not float which it normally shows

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

That about covers it

1/2/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkYup

Try this to start, shut off all the breakers inside the RV then unplug from the supply source and shut the breaker off at the post, turn the inverter off and then back on at the inverter. Plug back into power and turn the supply breaker ON and then the breakers inside the RV and see if the power comes back on.

What catches my attention is everything works fine with the generator, I would try another supply source, no adapters or extension cords as they can cause problems. Want to make sure the supply is not the issue or you could be chasing your tail.

I would also locate the automatic transfer switch and verify you have AC voltage going in and out of the transfer switch, you will have input from the generator, input from the shore line and then output which then goes to the inverter and breaker panel, if you are not getting AC voltage past the transfer switch it could be the issue.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok the coach reset has been completed already as that was my first troubleshooting idea. I will have to locate the transfer switch I am not sure where that would be. The coach does have a clean power whole coach surge protector that it looks like the power goes into then back out into the coach. There is a fault listed on the actual inverter but I cannot read the fault off my main panel. There is a fault reset procedure both soft and hard resets for the inverter and I might try that first and see if the reset clears the inverter fault. I am getting shore power because I can see the full size fridge come on and go off when 110v are connected. My issue is that the coach batteries won't charge so running everything it pulls the DC power to low and the inverter and coach shut down due to low voltage. Let me try to clear the fault on the inverter

Sounds like a plan, many Fleetwoods the transfer switch is behind the breaker panel, both the shore and generator line will go directly to it.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reset inverter still shows faults I am going to check the switch behind the circuit breaker panelThere is no switch behind the circuit breaker panel.

Follow both the LARGE shore cord and generator cord it will go directly to the transfer switch. Hard to know for sure as location can change per floorplan.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok followed both to the main switch panels in the back of the coach there are only connection blocks and the solar charge unit then they hop to the next compartment where inverter is located. Reset everything that I found that had a reset button but still show a fault on the inverter. We are going to run the generator at the moment then just shut down die the night and call it in tomorrow. We have a warranty to cover this all so the RV place should be open in the AM

Understand If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the assistance

No problem at all.

Robert