RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Had a freeze and now low pressure after 4 hours of running…

Had a freeze and...

Had a freeze and now low pressure after 4 hours of running propane that has vent in sanitation cabinet

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

2003 Tiffin, was working day before, but it hit 20 degrees and we fell asleep without running the water or anything

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '03 RV?

Tiffin Phaeton

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've run heat, trying to unfreeze, at first there was nothing, now there is a drip, and when I first turn it on there's plenty of pressure but it quickly fades after a few seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I noted a hole in the line that goes from potable to the freshtank, its draining out now, never had that hole before, but I assume since that's non-pressurized its not the cause

12/24/2020
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
James Davy

Good evening, is your problem, is that your water lines are frozen and you are not getting water flow

Thanks for your question

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The water hose is not frozen, it can even fill the tank now, originally this morning we couldn't turn the switch from city to tankNow it seems that for the last 3 hours we've been pumping heat at it and still just a drip. If I leave it off for 5 minutes or so then turning it on will have some pressure then immediately die out.Water hose insulated and heater by power plug, seems last night we didn't flow the water enough through the internals and this morning we had NO water, but now for last few hours its just trickling, a little more if from city vs pump but basically just a steady drip
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Possible bad city water valve not letting the water in.

Thanks James

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe I've troubleshooted that, I've unplugged it from the rig and it'll spray out. I also put a regulator on it and its got at least 30psiOh, the valve on the rig? Hrmm, anything I can do to check on that? It seems to let it gush into the freshwater tank from the save valveLike right now I flipped the faucet quick and the pressure was great, but if I leave it open it will die out immediately. Without any info, it feels like ice is moving up to block the water after it gets any pressure, but we've been pumping heat and propane for a few hours now, and letting it drip for hours, can't imagine its still frozenCould a leak in the hose that comes down from the "potable cap" cause pressure issue? The cap says "non pressured".I just flipped the shower faucet which normally won't do anything and it blasted for 4 seconds straight then dripped to nothing.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

IT should have 4 screws that hold it on, It has a check valve and a spring in it. I would remove it from coach and look at it. other than frozen lines its the only thing that would stop the water flow. what happens when you use the pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pump also drips
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you talking about the fresh tank fill hose?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I plug my hose into one thing, then near it there's a cap that says "potable" and also "non-pressurized" that hose leads down to what looks like a clear tank, so I assume freshwater, the hose itself is leaking, its a ribbed hose that looks like a shrunk down laundry snake thing but light blue and white, its not like a normal hose
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

The fresh water tank fill hose should not be causing your problem.

The only thing I can say if you keep working it it should break loose.

If you remove the city fill valve the the pump should shoot water out that line when you turn it on.

thanks James

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To be clear, the city-fill is the same as the tank-fill, there's a lever that moves it from one to the other. When I move the lever to "fill" you can hear gushes of water rushing into the tank
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Isn't there a valve where hose attaches?

James Davy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that value is the same for fill as for city-connect. When I switch the lever to flow into tank you can hear it moving through that to the tank and water is in there because that hole is still gushing out water.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

There has to some kind of check valve there to stop the water from coming out when the pump is on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm trying to locate anything I can remove, I see screws to the plastic valve but that valve isn't blocking or the tank won't fill right? and wouldn't I get no pressure, not a bunch up front then backing off? I'm ready to look for and check on something it just doesn't seem removable, after the plastic valve part it goes into brass and its behind a white plastic wall. I ran my hands along it to see if they were cold, doesn't seem and the propane vent is aiming right at that group of plumbing
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

can you send me a picture of it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yup, one second.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You can see the leak on that non-pressured hose in the top pic. When I flip the lever down instead of to up City, you can hear pressured water gushing into the tanks, which then presumably is leaking out of that hole very slowly.That foamy thing is from the powered insulated water hose.Another strange thing is the drip comes out hot, so must be going through water heater.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

The thing you have the hose hooked to is the city water valve, you should be able to remove it by taking out the screws and discontenting it from plumbing line behind it.

you prolly will have to pull it out to do it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, so when I pull that out I don't notice anything, I have to switch the lever to "city" to get it to spew and then the pump spews until I switch it back to tank filll
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok I think we need to talk on the phone. I'm InThe middle of dinner right now. Can yu give me little time.
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For sure, thanks for your time. Feels like a head scratcher, thought heating stuff back up would do it but perhaps its still cold enough at some point in the link to be frozen.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok I'm back, I think it will be easier to talk on the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even though its getting colder outside it seems to now be at full pressure, must have been a combination of moving the propane venting hose to not be blocked, throwing some life jackets in the cabinet to insulate and running propane heater more.
THank you SO very much for your time, you were five stars! Have a wonderful holiday!
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok thanks

Have a merry Christmas too

Thanks James

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oddly now the faucet outside in the sanitation compartment has full pressure, hot or cold, but the inside has 2-3 seconds of full pressure then it goes to drip after 10 seconds. I've had the water heater hopefully filling for 3 hours. I tried to bleed the air by opening the red valve in the compartment and opening the release valve on the heater, but so far still issues. I'm also now in a warmer area, no freezing
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
Try removing the aerators from the faucets and see what that does.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. When outside and using the compartment faucet I noticed the hot water ran out and then heard the water heater make a lot of noise, more than when I had noticed before. Would the toilet be affected by that? It seems to have full pressure for a few seconds then drip and stop quickly after.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
The toilet and hot water are two separate lines.
What kind of noise is it making. Does it have to do with the burner or water.
Thanks James
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both hot and cold on the inside of rig faucets will slow down, but outside it seems only hot slows down. I saw an article that suggested that the water heater might be responsible for water pressureRemoving the Aerators didn't seem to change anything.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
Does water heater have a bypass on the back Make sure it's all the way on. Flush out water heater see what's inside
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I think that's my issue, I don't hear the hot water heater filling and when I open the red pipe that drains down it barely has any hot water, just a few drips. I also noticed that outside faucet pretty much acts like the inside, must have been temporary.I can't seem to find my water heater bypass. I've looked around and my manual has a picture but I can't find that place.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
Can you get to back of water heater?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see a way
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

I just tried to call you but said your number wasn't in service.

call me(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked under bathroom and kitchen faucets and the blue and red colored pipes all just lead down to under my view, below the floorI guess the water filter could be... busted in a strange way? I pushed the red button above it and it is very high pressure and sprays water.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

That is the drain, there is anode rod attaché to it. The water heater is a 10 gallon

model. the anode rod is available at A RV dealer parts house. That water filter is plugged up. I

thanks James

Is it a cartilage one or does the filter fit inside a canister?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It fits into a canister
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago

Change the filter and flush out your water heater it should solve your problem.

Try removing canister and take filter out than reinstall and check water pressure again.

Thanks JAMES

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You think the filter even though it starts with great pressure? I don't have a replacement for now I guess take out what I have in there?to flush, does using that low-point drain http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/crusingator/P/P-003.pdf work? Or should I try to train with that rusty bolt?
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
Sounds like a bad filter. That how they act when plugged
James.

Do the filter and let water heater go for now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BINGO! Water Filter was TOOOOAST something the ice didThanks a bunch! What a tricky hobbit, working for 1 day then going back really sent me on the wrong trail
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 1 year ago
Great to hear.
Thanks for your question