RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My ice box continues to run on propane it will not stay on…

Customer Question
My ice box continues...

My ice box continues to run on propane it will not stay on electricity. It is going through a 7gal bottle of propane a day

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

It just started this last week

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

2018 sprinter And yes the battery is charged every thing 12volt works

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes it just started and there is no dealer close by

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
12/13/2020
RV Mechanic: AndrewB121, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
AndrewB121
AndrewB121, RV Mechanic

Hi, this is Andrew.....sorry to hear about your fridge problem. Do you have the unit in Auto Mode and your shoreline is plugged into 120v power? And does it show it's on propane not electric?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is on auto mode but is only running on propaneit is plugged in to power
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just changed bottles last night

You would need to go to the back of the fridge compartment outside and open the the vent cover. There is an outlet out there that the fridge cord is plugged into....take something out there that you can plug in and make sure the outlet has power on it.....like a light or hairdryer if you don't have a test meter or polarity meter.

I always suggest getting a cheap plug in the outlet polarity meter for people with RV's.....it just plugs into an outlet and reads power, ground, and neutral. Most RV supply places have them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has power
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not know what this burner is for

If the outlet has power, then the problem is inside the circuit board. There is a 120v, 5 amp fuse inside the black box that protects the 120v input line and circuit board....but it's very hard to get to and get the cover off. then it's a special 120v fuse if you need one. Hopefully it's the fuse, because if the fuse is good and has power through it, then the lower circuit board is bad.

The last picture you sent....the propane gas burner flue is on the right side there if you're looking at the fridge from behind. The large black wires going into the burner flue case are the 120v heating element wires. It heats up the coolant solution there on either propane or 120v.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool thanks it seems to run continuallyIt is already dark here so I will try the fuse in the morning it is the only black box in there correctis there one on each iceboxI have double icebox and they are both acting up

Yes, if it doesn't sense any 120v power at the circuit board....it will only run on propane. Yes, the control box is on the left side of the fridge. Be careful and unplug the 120v cord before you remove the cover. There will be two fuses on the control board.....one is a 12 power fuse that protects the 12v line and the other is the 120v fuse....it will be the fuse closest to the black heating element wires. You may have had a power surge or something an blew the 120v fuse in each fridge. Radio Shack or some electronic shops will have the fuse.....some RV dealers also.

Thanks for using JustAnswer and let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks buddy

You're very welcome, glad to help. Thanks,

Andrew