RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Gas ran out and we replaced the tank.We turned it on and the…

Customer Question
Gas ran out and...

Gas ran out and we replaced the tank.We turned it on and the heater just blew out cold air

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

We have a travel trailer\Camper

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Flagstaff yourself? What have you tried so far?

831 FKBSS

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I am doing it myself.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
11/28/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good afternoon! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

Most of the time it will take a bit to equalize the working pressure in the lines again. You might have to cycle the thermostat off and on again 4 or 5 times to get that to come up to pressure and fire up. In some cases when this happens the furnace will get hot from running lean and cook the control board. Rare, but it happens. If you can let me know the make of your furnace I can supply a link to the correct Service Manual for you which is great to have and will be needed if we have to dig into this a bit deeper here. I hope this proves helpful and points you in the right direction. Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay
I will try it.
Thanks, ***** ***** hope it works
When turning the furnace on and off should I leave the switch on AUTO, and turn it up on the highest setting.I tried it 7 times and it is still blowing cold airThat did not fix the problem.

Turn on a stovetop burner and let it burn a few minutes.

Did you let it cycle 3 times before you turned it off again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay
yes I did cycle three times

It will come on and try to ignite 3 times and then stop. You do this at least 4 or 5 times, but make sure the stovetop burner is on and showing no red or yellow in the flame tips as that would be a sign of low pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The stovetop burner shows no red or yellow in the tips. So you want me to try to start the furnace again? Should the thermostat be set on AUTO, when doing this process?I just started the process, and as soon as I turned the furnace on. The tips of the burner turned red and yellow.

Yes. On the "Auto" setting. That shows that the pressure is NOT up to the place it need to be yet. Keep cycling the thermostat after the 3 tries for ignition. Turn the stovetop burner off now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay the burner is off..You can hear the click during the cycling where it is trying to start

If it won't fire up then you probably cooked the control board. Not good to run it clear out of LP.

OR it might be just a long way from the source to the furnace. Maybe don't give up yet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I filled the tanks today, the one that the Camper was running off of, had abut a gallon of propane left in the tank..

When it gets cold you have to keep the tank over 1/3 full or it won't boil enough vapor off to work.