RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My caravan fridge tr ips the circuit breaker when l press…

Customer Question
My caravan fridge tr...

My caravan fridge tr ips the circuit breaker when l press the aes button

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2011 Corrimal van Princeton with a double door dometic fridge freezer at the top

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have turned fridge off the main power .put fridge on gas fridge working on gas ok soon as ll turn main power back to fridge it trips circuit breaker

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

L am at home running it without the vehicle as l have done before lam charging with house power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that it trips the breaker as soon as l press the aes button

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
11/23/2020
RV Mechanic: TerryC1117, RVTI Master certified replied 2 years ago
TerryC1117
TerryC1117, RVTI Master certified

Hello, my name is***** like you have a short in the electric side of the fridge. Try unplugging the fridge from the outlet on the back of the fridge. Run an extension cord grown another outlet in you house. Plug the fridge into the extension cord. If the breaker in the house trips you know the problem is in the fridge. If it doesn't trip the problem is in the circuit to the fridge.

Terry done more checks as you advised plugged into extension cord to house it still tripped

Ok, do you have a multimeter

Will check every thing in back of fridge.Could the aes be faultyNo can get one though

Could be the control board but most likely culprit will be 4he heating element.

It works on gas ok have tried it.

If you unplug the element from the boardboard, turn on the aes and it doesn't trip you'll know its the element.

Gas is a separate circuit on the control board controlled by 12 volt

Ok will try
What should the heating element look like lhave the panel off the van at the bottom of the fridge all l can see is 12v wires etc.There is a white little box I can see is that the aes controlWould the heating element be plugged in to the back that
Unplugged heater still trippedCould the fridge control panel be problem?

Most likely the board is shorted and needs replaced.

What could be the cause of board shortout
It could have been a power surge. Could be a component on the board failed and is touching a trace that causes a dead short. There are any number of things that could cause a short on the board.Could you take a picture of the board and send it to me on here. Maybe I can determine what the problem is.