RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Last night we had no hot water flowing to the kitchen

Last night we had...

Last night we had no hot water flowing to the kitchen faucet, we have hot water in both bathroom faucet and shower. Now this morning there is no water flowing to kitchen faucet, not even water in the lines. Nothing appears to be frozen, we left a space heater on all night and it didn’t resolve anything. There’s still water in the bathroom.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

We are living in the RV, it is not winterized.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Keystone raptor 300 MP

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have taken off the Houses at the kitchen sink, there is no water in the lines at all. We’ve tried to check for check valves but cannot locate any.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

We don’t think it’s frozen, as we have it skirted and it has an enclosed underbelly.

11/20/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay, what do you need to know?

Good morning! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

Okay, sounds good

If the temps have dropped down below freezing there then the most likely problem is that the line if frozen. Hot water freezes faster than cold water. If you still have hot water in the bathroom, then you know that the problem is not in the water heater itself. It may not have damaged anything, but it may take some time to thaw out. Heat lamps in the suspected areas are the best means of getting this done faster. I hope this points you in the right direction. Randall

Most water lines are visible in one or more of the service bays and I would start with the area under where the water lines for the kitchen faucet are located.

Okay, we left a space heater in the basement of the trailer and have lights underneath. Only the hot water wasn't working last night but this morning the cold is not working either and there is not water in either line.

Almost a sure thing that these froze up.

Until you get some more heat or insulation in and around those lines you need to keep the water dripping slightly. Moving water is harder to freeze up.

Temps well above freezing in the undercarriage of the unit maybe there just a cold spot somewhere . We disconnected the hot/cold supplies and there's no flow so may be a freeze I see no valves or anything that could have stopped the flow

Leave the cupboard doors under the sink open at night so the heat goes in there. Virtually no chance of any other cause. One cold spot will be adequate to cause this.

Any idea on how to get it unfroze? The water lines aren't accessible under the trailer, only in the basement and under the kitchen sink, it's not froze at the water heater, so it must be somewhere between but we have an included underbellyEnclosed underbelly*

It depends on where the lines are. Some are run in that area and so that would entail having to take part of that loose for accessing them. Warmer weather or some heat source are the only way to get them thawed out.

Okay, it's supposed to get up to around -1 c tomorrow so hopefully we can get it thawed out.

I hope so too!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification