RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Cooling unit has been replace, but fridge is not cold. 2016…

Customer Question
Cooling unit has been...

Cooling unit has been replace, but fridge is not cold

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 Keystone Alpine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

3010 RE

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No RV dealer replaced cooling unit. Now we are in the middle of nowhere and it’s not cooling

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
11/16/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the make and model of the fridge?
Have you tried running it on LP and AC power for at least 8 hours on the same source with the same results?

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
RM1350MX

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkayThe dealer said it will take up to three days to reach operating temperatures.

If you have no cooling on both sources after 8 hours then the cooling unit, fans, thermistor is the most suspect.

I know this is a new cooling unit and I have seen them bad out of the box before, it is possible the cooling unit is the problem. IF it cools on one source and not the other then it is not a cooling unit issue.

This model has fans on the back side of the fridge up high, if they were not cycling on and off it would be a big problem, you would loose cooling in the box, you should be able to hear them cycling on and off.

The thermistor could also be at fault with no cooling on both sources, if you have a volt meter I can explain how to test that out.

I think 3 days is to long, you should see full cooling 8-12 hours.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have a volt meter. I hear the fans running, but I don't hear them cycling on and off.

As long as they are running they are not the issue.

I would really contact the RV dealer and see if they are willing to send a mobile RV tech to look at this. IF not that still may be an option for you. I used to do RV mobile repair in OR and would cover a 100 mile radius, you may want to do an online search "RV mobile repair" and the zip code you are at to see if a tech can come to you and check this out.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did and there is one close by.

Might want to have it looked at. If you tried both sources for at least 12 hours and the box is not cooling then there is an issue. I know this is very frustrating and the dealer should try and take care of you on this.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have it on auto and the propane is also running. Is that normal that the propane is running when on electric?

Give me a few mins to explain that.
Thanks. Robert

IF you are plugged into power then it should be working on electric, if the circuit board does not sense the AC power it will default to propane.

The fridge uses DC power to run the circuit board, this means if the outlet the fridge is plugged into does not have power it will still turn on but only be able to work on propane. Also under the outside access panel is a circuit board, the cover comes off the board and will expose some fuses, one fuse is for the DC side or what allows the fridge to turn on, the other fuse is the AC fuse it was blown the fridge would default to propane.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not working on electric at all. I will try and put it on lp only.

When troubleshooting you have to try and run it on both sources.

When it is on electric you will not hear anything at all, a AC heating element does the heating it has no moving parts besides the fans.

Robert