RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Norcold gas/electric refrigerator model 682 in my…

I have a Norcold gas/electric...
I have a Norcold gas/electric refrigerator model 682 in my 1995 Safari Trek. It is not cooling on gas or electric.The gas valve opens and releases gas when 12v is applied. The AC heater has continuity. The divider heater has continuity. The refrigirator light goes on and off and with the 'normal/atorage/high humidity switch'. The Tempeture Sensor has 16k resistance.The Eyebrow Control works as follows with the 'existing' 8 conductor interconnect cable: When switched to AUTO, the ELEC light lights. When switched to GAS, the GAS light lights. The RED X does not come on. There is no continuity on the gray wire, but there is between the gray wire on one end and the orange wire on the other end. I suspect mouse damage as I found on wires to the little fan at the top of the vent passage.I borrowed a 'new' 8 conductor cable to bypass the 'existing' and the Eyebrow Control then works as follows: When switched to AUTO, nothing comes on. When switched to GAS, the RED X comes on and stays on. The gas valve does not open and there is no power to the AC Heater. Is the a test for the 2-Way Power Supply circut board?Thank you. Rod Malkin
11/15/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good evening! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thanks! Randall

Does the flue stack get warm or hot when you turn the fridge on any mode after a few minutes? I am adding a link to that Service Manual for you. Print it out so you have it. And take a look around the base of the burner area and tell me if you see any yellowish debris there as that would be a sure sign of cooling unit failure. Randall http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/600.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. The stack does not get warm. The burner does not try to light. The gas solonoid does not open with power from the circut board. Only when 12v is applied directly. And, 120v isn't available for the AC heater.There are no yellow debris.I have wiring diagrams for my 682. I looks like the 6182 in the Service Manual. There appears to be circut board checks in the manual that I will try tomorrow. Thank you

Get a small digital multimeter like the one in the attached photo link and do some testing and see where you are not getting power. About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use. You want to see at least 12 VDC across the DC fuse on the board and 120 VAC to the heating element and across the AC fuse. Ohm out the heating element to see if that is good or not. I should be around most of the day tomorrow. Randall

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning. I don't know how much I'll get to work on this today. We have a storm here and I have trees down, and its raining.
I assume now you were not able to read my original message to Just Answers. I use a Fluke meter. I do get 120 VAC at the AC fuse and 12 VDC at the DC fuse and most everywhere else because the lights work. I do not have AC output to the AC heater, but the heater showes continuity. When I can, I'll try the Service Manual troubleshooting guide. Rod

Yes, I did and make an answer and gave you a link to the Service Manual.

The board may be defective and I think there is a recall on that model.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to reply a few minutes ago, but got a message that something went wrong. So this email might be a duplicate.I'm back to my refrigerator problem. I started at the front of the Repair Guide, and went test by test using my new 8 conductor cable. I got as far as 17-B. I have 11.9v and the AC light is not lit, indicating a bad Eyebrow board. Are there further test I should do? Should I just order a new board and email you when I get it? Rod

I think Dinosaur Electronics makes a control board for that. The OEM boards can be hard to find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. "I'll be back".

Make sure that the recall has been done on this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You were very right about hard to find. Even Dinosaurs were hard to find. Only one of the 10 retailers listed actually helped by calling Dinosaur to find one in their stock. Everyone else had one to two months delivery or out of stock or even out of production. I might have it by Friday.So, how do I handle the recall?

What did Norcold tell you? Had it been done or not?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never had to talked to Norcold. Do I call anyone in partictular to ask about a recall?
have your model and serial number ready.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called Norcold this morning. They say there are no recalls for the 682. Thank you for making it a point to try. I am content with getting the old refrigerator to work again.Untill the part gets here, I'll go back to making firewood out of the trees across my driveway. Rod

Thanks for that update, Rod. Just wanted to make sure. I have a large pile of rounds I need to spit up myself!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got my new Eyebrow board this morning. I'm still failing at 17-B. I actually have, ( as with the original board), 11.89V between D11 and R23 and the AC light does not illuminate. It's still indicating a bad Eyebrow boardI rechecked all the previous steps again. I was extra carful at Q2 in step 14. Contact E was 13.04V, B was 12.39V, and C was 9.85V but not listed as required. I'm not getting 120V thru the Power Supply, and I cant hear or feel any click at K1. What next? Rod

Replace the lower board with a good one from Dinosaur Electronics.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there something not quite accurate in the Repair Guide? Step 14 didn't indicate a bad board.I can apparently return the new Eyebrow board, but I'm thinking I should keep it at least until I get a new Power Supply board. Is it possible they're both bad? Should I even consider also getting a new Ignition Module so they're all new. I is a 25 year old refrigerator with a little rust on the refrigerant piping.

Is the new eyebrow from Dinosaur Electronics or an OEM board? You can get a faulty one sometimes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a Dinosaur.

Maybe give them a call on Monday and discuss this with them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. Thanks. Rod

Please let me know what that outcome is here. Not many times I see a failed board with them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called Dinosaur, and was called back by one of their tech people. To make a short story shorter, the plugs on the 8 conductor Norcold control wire, reverse polarity from one end to the other. The new 8 conductor internet cable I was using to bypass my bad cable, DO NOT reverse. The plugs are identical and snap-in just like they're suppose to, but creates its own problem. Dinosaur is sending me a new cable. I might have it this week.

O.K. Thanks for that update.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked this last week, but I guess my card info was out of date.The frig is back in and seems to be working, but I have a question about its operation.When I got the new cable, I plugged it into the Control Board, ran it out the window, and into the Power Supply Board. The Control Board lights worked right and the gas flame lit immediately and burned clean and steady. It was about 50deg.I pulled the frig last week and replaced the old cable. It did have mouse damage. Its now 30deg. On start-up, the gas flame kept going out after about 10 seconds. After several tries, I preheated with 120v until warm. Then the flame stayed lit, after about an hour the frig started to get coldI know gas friges can be challenged in cold weather, but what is actually happening? The Repair Guide says to replace the Igniter when the flame doesn't stay lit.

Start by having the LP working pressure checked at the tank regulator and don't try using it unless you have at least a 1/4 tank. Have it checked with a manometer and you want it set to 12 Water Column Inches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I'm going to stick a fork in this one until spring. I'm probably just low on propane. The needle is just below the 1/4 full mark and it's cold out. The RV is in the barn now, and it looks like it's going to be a project to get my loaned manometer back. I would still like to know how the frig knows to shut off when the pressure is low.
RV Parts did take back the circuit board and without a restocking fee. Thanks for the help

You are most welcome! If the LP volume is too low it won't boil off enough vapor and the fridge won't ignite and stay running. Get back to me in the Spring and have a great Holiday Season.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Thank you for that generous bonus! Not necessary, but always appreciated here. Please be safe out there and have a great Holiday Season.