RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Atwood 8500 IV series. When turned on, I get one flash and…

Customer Question
Atwood 8500 IV series...

Atwood 8500 IV series. When turned on, I get one flash and then nothing (no more flashes, just shuts off). I reset the switch and same thing, one single flash and then nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2007 Thor - Victory Lane Toyhauler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to troubleshoot and hopefully fix myself. Troubleshooting red light flash codes do not include "one flash and then nothing", only flashes with pauses.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Red light on circuit board. It does not stay on after the single flash.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you go to use the furnace and turn it on and raise the temp does anything happen at all?

The blower motor should kick on. IF the blower motor is coming on can you hear the electrode trying to spark, this will be key.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only thing that happens when turned on and temp is raised is the one flash and completely shuts off. I reset the switch and it does the same thing. It was working fine a week ago.

OK

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Sounds like the circuit board may be the issue, as soon as you turn the thermostat on and raise the temp voltage is sent to the board, part of the board is a relay that tells the fan to start so the fan should come on if you have DC voltage present at the connector that plugs into the board when the thermostat is ON. Most good RV shops can test the board with a special board tester and can tell if the board has failed or not.

I would also ensure the cage for the blower motor spins freely if it was hung up then it will not spin.

You have constant voltage to the furnace through the reset and the trigger or what gets things going is the thermostat voltage to the board.

IF you have no voltage on the harness that plugs into the board with the thermostat on the the thermostat is suspect. I would start with having the board tested.
Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get out the voltmeter to make some checks. I feel confident with power going to the circuit board because the light flashes once and there is a click sound that shuts it off. resetting the switch just does the same thing each time.

I agree and it very well could be the board, they do fail a good RV shop can test it for you.

Robert