RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Just bought a 2019 Grand Lodge 42DL and hooking up

Customer Question
Just bought a 2019...

Just bought a 2019 Grand Lodge 42DL and hooking up electricity. The schematics look like it is a 220 system. The panel looks like it has two 120 legs coming into it. 1 120 leg for half the panel and 1 120 for the other half. Am I correct?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?

The manual I have doesn't say. It has 3 different hot water heater types.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '19 RV?

Grand Lodge, wild wood

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have 120 power to all receptacles, Micro wave is powered up but haven't used it till I'm sure I'm not accidentally running 220

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Lites work also

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
11/5/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told by a friend that most RV's are only 120V. My plug has 2 blue lites on it if that means anything

YES in a RV a 50 amp service is 2 hot legs of 110 to equal 220, NOT 220 direct, 220 direct can damage the power converter and some of the AC appliances. Sometimes owners will plug into 220 welder or dryer outlets and this is a huge problem. A 30 amp service would be one hot leg of 110 volt coming in, not 220. Normally at a house it would have to be wired a certain way for a 30 or amp 50 amp service, if you need to see how the supply should be wired let me know and I can send you some info on what is required to do that.

Robert

Sorry I do not offer calls, the company Just Answer does for an added fee. I am unable to do calls do to poor cell service from recent fire

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You will need to reprocess the charge as my Chase card flagged it as fraud. It will go thru now

Sorry I do not have anything to do with the billing or payments, as an expert I do not know the arrangements you have with the company Just Answer.

I do not process anything nor can do a call. I have responded with a reply to your question, I will re-post.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just to be sure.... I have 2 120 legs , 1 neutral and one groundIn the breaker panel. It looks like each leg feeds half of the breakers

See link below.

https://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/50-amp%20Service.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I' good so far. It seems like I'm only running off my battery. I was gone for two weeks. Plugged in last night and went to push the slide out out but no lites or power to slide out motors until I charged the battery this morning.Do I have a hidden fuse somewhere?

Give me several mins to explain the electrical on the RV side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you are finished with this current answer you are working on, there is a switch up on the tongue that switches 3 ways. One says battery, can't remember the other twoI guess the switch is. On/Off/ Actuator

The AC power is strictly the outlets, TV and microwave, if you have a residential fridge it would also run only on AC power AND you would have an inverter.

The AC power comes right from the supply to the breaker panel. IF you have an inverter some of the AC voltage will go through it, outlets, TV , microwave and fridge. The roof AC would not run through it because of the high amp draw it takes to run it. An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are not plugged in. Not all RV's have them and some it is an option.

IF you have a generator built into the RV then the AC power will go to the transfer switch and then out to the inverter and breaker panel.

Some items require both AC and DC voltage, the fridge if it runs on propane and the AC unit.

The DC power would be the lights, slides, water heater, furnace etc also the slides. It is possible to have power to the outlets, TV and microwave but be missing the DC power.

When you are plugged into power the power converter OR inverter charges the battery, you should have around 13.5 volts DC at the battery when plugged in.

IF you have 13.5 volts then check the disconnect switch near the battery with a volt meter make sure you have voltage through the disconnect.

I am not sure the switch you are referring to is the disconnect. The disconnect is normally a large dial or lever near the battery OR you have an interior switch that triggers a solenoid and allows the battery voltage into the RV.

IF you have good voltage at the battery and have power through the disconnect I would look for a tripped DC breaker, below is a link for a picture. As a general rule they are 18" from the battery sometimes you will find them on the cable between the converter and battery. You would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, if only one side shows voltage it could be preventing the DC power into the RV, again this applies if you have over 12 volts DC or 13.5 plugged in.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No propane for the fridge or generator. Haven't tried to turn on the A/C or water heater and propane heater, so will do that tomorrow. Right now, I don't have any power to the electric fireplace. The breaker is not tripped. Nothing is happening when I hit the power button.I will have to check the disconnect switch tomorrow also.I have a dial with on/off/ actuator. When I am hooked up to A/C power, is the dial suppose to be off or actuator. Don't know what the actuator means.I guess the dial has Battery on it pointing to on/off/ actuator

You would want it ON unless you are not using the RV or it is not plugged into power.

IF you want to get back to me tomorrow that is fine, you can also add photos into your response using the paper clip icon on the page. I should be able to tell you what components you are looking at. Also if you have a meter take a reading at the battery. A volt meter is going to go a long way.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much. You have given me some peace of mind. I will double check everything including voltage etc. Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that if I still have any other questions. Again, thank. You

No problem at all.

I will be available tomorrow after 10:30 am pst if needed.

Have a great night.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

No problem at all.
Robert