RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

No heat. I've reset the thermostat, not sure where coolant…

Customer Question
I've reset the thermostat...

I've reset the thermostat, not sure where coolant level is. I don't seem to have any power at the furnace. What appears to me to be a light on the reset switch does not light.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 Keystone Montana

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

The furnace is an AFMD35131

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just checked the circuit breakers looked at the unit and tried the reset switch

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
10/31/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! And several of us live out west where we are dealing with fires all around us! Thanks! Randall

May I have the make and version of your thermostat here please? Coleman thermostats have an internal fuse and all the others are powered up via the fuse for the furnace. If this is a digital model then it might be in the cable or the control module where the problem is. It might be a loose connect there as well. It can even be an issue with the control board as this is a common problem on these new furnaces. I am adding a link to the Atwood/Dometic Furnace Service Manual for you. Print it out so you have it.

The fastest way to track this down if with a small digital multimeter like the one in the attached photo link. About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use. Once I know the make and version of this equipment I can direct you in some testing to sort this out. Randall http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Atwood-Mobile_Service-Training-Manual-2015.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dometic

Which one? Capacitive Touch or Comfort Control II ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Comfort Control II

Is the thermostat blank on the display? What "light on the reset switch" are you referring to here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The thermostat seems to be okay - running a/c now. There is a switch under the exhaust panel outside the RV that has the words off and reset on it.

The most common problem on these newer furnaces is the control boards. Make in China and poor quality. I never sell them for that reason. I only use a good after market board made in Oregon by Dinosaur Electronics in Oregon. Your model uses a "Fan 50 Plus" model. I am adding a link to the Atwood/Dometic Furnace Service Manual for you. Print this out so you have it. Use a 12 VDC test light to check for good power there to the board. Most hardware stores or automotive parts stores sell them for about $10 or so. http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Atwood-Mobile_Service-Training-Manual-2015.pdf