RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold L1 op. 2020 Keystone Impact. Voltmeter checked for…

Norcold L1 op Mechanic's...

Norcold L1 op

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2020 Keystone Impact

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Voltmeter checked for voltage everywhere. batteries, and behind fridge. all have 13 volts. Recall box (high temp) flashing red slow light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Norcold Recall Red LED Status. LED SLOW Flashing....(On/Off ~1X per second)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Norcold 1210

10/28/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Hello, I'm Victor. Let me know what info you need

Good evening, Victor! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! And several of us live out west where we are dealing with fires all around us! Thanks! Randall

This is a "No Cooling" fault and is usually caused by low voltage to the control board or the cooling unit failing or sometimes from the fridge just not being level. It can't cool that way. If this is an out of level situation you need to turn it off and allow the cooling unit to cool down completely and level it up and then try it again. The board or the hi recall module may need to be reset first. This is done using a large magnet like the one you would find on the end of a telescoping rod that you find at most local automotive parts stores. Like those used to pick up a bolt or something you dropped into a tight place can't reach it. You follow the instructions like those on the attached ARP link I am adding here. This would allow the board and module to reset. I am also adding a link to the Norcold Service Manual for you. Print this out so you have it. Let me know what happens and we can go from there in the morning. Randall https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/62104-How-to-reset-Norcold-1200-series-refrigerator-high-temperature-limit-switch

http://http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1210.pdf

https://www.arprv.com/troubleshoot-norcold-recall.php

The fridge has been off for over 12+ hours, rig and fridge is level.(Tested with level). The red light on the recall module is flashing slow (once per second) red when L1 op code is active. I have tried to use a magnet and no luck with the module resetting. I read that this magnet reset usually only works if the red status light is a steady red. Thinking this was a voltage issue, I used a voltmeter on the power input of the boards(Both the main control and recall) and got good readings (above 13 volts).I have also tried to switch unit into LP mode, still getting the same effect. I have also unplugged from shore power and tried to run unit with batteries at full charge. No luck, still getting L1 op code

The new hi limit recall has added a feature that will show "blinking" and not just "on" or "off" as before. See the attached link for that description down on page 4. This will tell you what to do next and what the result is. https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/635412E-SB_1200_1210_BoilerLeakCheck.pdf

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Good evening Randall, Thank you for your help. I was able to narrow the issue down to my batteries. I am a newbie in the RV world and completely forgot to maintain the water level of my RV batteries. Looks like they were outputting lower voltage and the fridge did not like it. I proceeded to add distilled water to them and voila. The L1 op code disappeared. I watched the temperature drop and looks like we are good.

I would still have them load tested to be sure they are viable and not damaged. If the water levels were below the plates then this is very possible as they overheat. You have to check the water levels at least very other month. Thanks for that update.