RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic 8505 fridge in my 2014 r pod. It cools well…

I have a Dometic...

I have a Dometic 8505 fridge in my 2014 r pod. It cools well on electricity, but not with propane. The igniter works fine, and produces a flame you can see, but in 8 hrs, it still doesn't cool. I have an auto mechanic friend who says "it's the PC board". Do you think he is correct?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '14 RV?

171

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not yet. It's been to the dealer and I'm not getting any good answers.

10/27/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good morning! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! And several of us live out west where we are dealing with fires all around us! Thanks! Randall

Ok

The two most common causes for poor cooling on LP mode, especially on this model are low LP working pressure at the tank regulator OR the burner is dirty or damaged and should be checked. I am adding a link to the Dometic Service Manual that is used for these 8000 series fridges. Print it out so you have it. Please let me know what you find and we can go from there. I hope this proves helpful and points you in the right direction here. Randall http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM8xxx.pdf

I read your answer yesterday as soon as it came in. I had my rPod in the shop last week and they told me the igniter worked fine and they cleaned the burner. They didn't say anything about the pressure regulator. How do you check that? I can tell you that the heater and the hot water heater work well. Could there still be something wrong with the regulator? I read the manual you sent.

You check that with a manometer and they should have done that. You want it to be set to 12 Water Column Inches. If you need a new one then I would go with an MEC Marshall model.

I called the dealer that had my rPod and they told me they checked the regulator and all was fine. I'm not really trying to fix the camper myself, but I'm trying to comprehend what they are telling me. I don't have a lot of trust. So, the regulator is fine, the ignitor works and produces a flame and the fridge still doesn't cool. I was told that I may need a new PC board. Are there other things to consider before a new PC board. I can't find the PC board to obtain a part #. They are telling me it costs$700.

I don't think you need a new PC board and I am not sure they really know what they are talking about. I doubt they checked the pressure or the burner. Best to find another dealer or shop or good mobile tech. If it cools well on AC mode then there is NOTHING wrong with the board or the thermistor and the issue is in the gas side. If you have any flame at all then it is a matter or too little flame or a bad burner.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thanks, ***** ***** to get a 2nd opinion before i Proceed. I live in Montana and I don't have a lot of options. I couldn't get an appointment for two weeks