RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood gas/electric water heater. When I turn on…

I have an Atwood...

I have an Atwood gas/electric water heater. When I turn on the electric heater, the DSI FLT light comes on and the water doesn't heat up. What do these letters stand for and what do I need to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

On the control panel in my RV, the water heater on/switch has a small red LED light labeled DSI FLT.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2004 Jayco Greyhawk.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it myself. I turn the heater on and off repeatedly, sometimes this works, but it has not worked for several days.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing more at this time.

10/24/2020
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline between 3-4 Pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2-3 pm CST for the day.

DSI means direct spark ignition. FLT means fault.

That means it tried to ignite the burner on the water heater but failed. First thing is to check your propane supply. 2nd would be to check the burn chamber to see if it is clogged with carbon flakes.

I hope this helps you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This occurs when I am using the electric heater.This occurs when I try to use the electric heater.this occurs when I try using the electric heating mode

Very busy day today.

Yes, the FLT light also shuts down the propane due to an ECO switch

which is high temp.The E.C.O Thermostat is a closed switch that sends voltage to the solenoid valve. The switch opens if the water temperature exceeds 180°F, protecting the water heater from damage. If there is a spark present on your water heater, but no gas flow, it could be a defective E.C.O Temperature Switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does "Weekend 2-3 pm CST for the day" in the introduction mean?

I go offline between 3-4 Pm CST. M-F

Weekend 2-3 pm CST for the day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am still unclear on this. It is 2:25 pm on a weekend day. Are you online until 3? Does someone else pick up at a certain time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

I go offline on weekend between the hours of 2-3 pm.

Nobody takes my place.

I stay online longer at times when needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. How do I check the ECO switch?

Click the link for the troubleshooting manual Pages 12-13.

http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Atwood-Water-Heater-Service-manual.pdf

Wayne, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Thanks Wayne.

Welcome.

Back online 7:30 Am tomorrow.