RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My atwood gas furnace blows exhaust gas into the motorhome.

My atwood gas furnace...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

The furnace runs on propane. the rv is diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2008 monaco diplomat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. the issue is the furnace

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I found and removed an obstruction in the exhause pipe but the furnace still blows exhaust gas into the cabin. the furnace works fine otherwise.

10/19/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the exhaust smell into the RV. Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

To start if you have not done so I would get an air nozzle and blow out the exhaust, if the burner chamber was full of soot you may get more exahust, also sometimes mud daubers can get inside the burner and make nests so I would blow that out really good.
The LP pressure should really be verified if the furnace was getting to much propane you may have more exhaust when it is running. The only way to check the pressure is with a manometer, in the shop it is a 30 min check.

Most furnaces will have a gasket or two on the burner chamber, if the gasket was leaking then you would get exhaust. What I might consider is having a RV shop do a annual service on the furnace that would include checking the pressure, checking the electrode, checking the gaskets etc. Normally it is about 1.5 hours of labor, if the furnace has to be removed then you are looking at around 4 hours of labor. May be no way around pulling the unit if a gasket is leaking, the furnace would need to come out of the casing to access the burner.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed a mud Dobber nest in the exhaust pipe but that didn't fix it. I suspect there may be more in the heater coil. Is there a way to clean / blow that out without removing the furnace?

Yes get some safety glasses and blow out with an air nozzle and compressor and try to blow out. About all you can do without pulling the unit.

I do recall one time I have one that was putting out allot of soot and Atwood advised me to pull the unit get some large nuts about a dozen and I dropped them into the exhaust, covered the ports up and shake away then rinsed with water. Seems strange but in that case it worked.
Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do I blow the air in?

On the outside you should have an intake and exhaust port, you can blow through them, I am willing to bet something is in the chamber if the pipe has daubers in it.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic