RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2014 travel trailer and the Dometic refrigerator…

Hi. I have a 2014...
Hi. I have a 2014 travel trailer and the Dometic refrigerator keeps blowing fuses. It initially only happened when I switched from 110V to Propane but now it blows the 15A fuses when I try to install it.
Dometic info: Mfg #958530285 S# ***** M# ***** 1500 BTU/Hr 120V 2.7A 12V – A
I am travelling and cannot easily chat. Please send the mechanic’s recommendation via e-mail:***@******.***
Thanks.
10/17/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your RV. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online. I try to be online for about 10+ hours a day, midday and late-night shift.

• I am camping now and literally had this issue before we left the house Thursday which I had to address.
  • This is the fuse in the fuse panel, not the one on the fridge control board, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's correct. The fuse panel located below the frig. There are fuses labeled for other appliances as well. Until today, the frig was cooling & freezing OK which makes me suspect a control problem. Your thoughts?Also, since I was just about out of fuses, I turned the frig off this morning. But when I arrive at today's site, the fuse was blown anyway. When I tried to insert a new one, it arced and blew right away, before I could insert it.

Can you remove the fridge rear access panel and locate the control board in the lower-left corner. You should see 2 12 volt wires there which are labeled power and ground. Unplug the power wire, then try a new fuse. Does it spark when trying to install it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should this panel be located inside the trailer or outside? I may have to wait until tomorrow.
If it sparks when unplugged, what does that tell me?

The panel is outside the camper. I need the camper model number to get you a picture. Here are the fridge diagrams https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8gr4rihja6ptfr/domfridgediag.pdf?dl=0

If the fuse parks then there is still a draw on the wiring, which means the wiring to the fridge is shorted to ground. That was my issue. Itemprarly ran anew wire till we get home. Then I can see why it failed and repair it the right way. If the fuse does not fail then you need to check for a faulty fridge bulb that is shorted, faulty control board, faulty gas valve, and temp sensors.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your question. If you need to follow up on this concern please use the reply button. If you like my answer please reply so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.The camper is a model 210. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NO: *****************

You are welcome, The fridge access on the 2104S is on the back of the camper above the water heater.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
FYI I removed the burned-out light bulb and it's working OK. Who knew...

Glad you got it.