RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Well i have atwood 6 gallon gas electric water heater it…

Well i have atwood...

Well i have atwood 6 gallon gas electric water heater it starts good gets water hot but when it shuts off the gas keeps running then it still has flame starts comming out off the burner

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

Its a hot water tank

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Dont know not mine its a fifthwheel camper

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i replaced main burner control board cutoff fuse

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your RV. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online. I try to be online for about 10+ hours a day, midday and late-night shift.

• Is the concern the propane burner is never shutting off, resulting in the tank overheating and blowing open the pressure relief valve, or is the concern the pilot light is not shutting off?
The problem is after the water gets hot the heater shuts off but the gas stays on keeping a flame in the main burner

How long will the flame continue burning at full blast and does it result in it overheating and blowing open the pressure relief valve?

The flame is burning without any pressure stays that way till I turn gas off

Are you sure you are not viewing the pilot light? If the burner was stying on full blast, the water heater would overheat. Faucet water would be near 200 degrees and the relief valve would open at 150 psi and 210 F and blow out the water from the top of the water heater.

There is no pilot light after the heater shutdown the flame keeps burning comes out starts to melt the wires

Thanks for those details.

The 3 things that can be to blame are going to be the control board is faulty, the thermostat is faulty reading a low temp, the gas valve is faulty and getting stuck on not being able to shut off from the control board. There are some tests that can be done with a voltmeter to test the circuit board and thermostat.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your question. If you need to follow up on this concern please use the reply button. If you like my answer please reply so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Thank you I need to know if there is a difference in control boards i replaced the board with part 91365 it had a board 91226

I will need the WH model number to try and find that information.

The model number is *****

Water heater GC6AA-10E circuit board 91365 is compatible.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dometic-91365-Atwood-Ignition-Control-CB-p/48-0003.htm

Grate I thank you have a good night

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic