RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We are dry camping with full battery but no outlets and

Customer Question
We are dry camping...

We are dry camping with full battery but no outlets and refer with no power heater works though

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No outlet power we just bought it so newbie stage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Jayflight 2020

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

First time trying to use battery power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I guess not

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
10/10/2020
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Good evening! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! And several of us live our west where we are dealing with fires all around us! Thanks! Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkLiked “Good evening! Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I have an RV repair facility and work on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! And several of us live our west where we are dealing with fires all around us! Thanks! Randall”Sorry to hear the RandallI'm Dane

One thing you need to remember and I am surprised that the dealer didn't tell you is that when you dry camp you don't have any AC power unless you have a generator OR quite a few batteries and some solar panels and an inverter to make some AC power. And you are definitely going to need more that one battery or the furnace won't make it through the night. Sounds like they didn't explain much here! Sorry about that. Randall

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok have generator but can't use it this time of nightSo that explains thatThankswhat good is the battery then

If this has an AC powered fridge then definitely you are going to need some other power sources. Best investigate some 6 VDC Marine Deep Cycle batteries and have about 4 of them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We won't dry camp oftenI just assumed that generator was for recharging battery when low

Give this salesperson an big fat "F" for not telling you any of this! I am sorry you had to find out this so late at night when you can't do much about it. The only other thing is to leave the engine running and that isn't a great alternative either.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok yes

Dry camping is fun and you just have to be set up for it. Some of the newer 2,000 watt generators are really quiet, but you just can't run an A/C off of one. In any event you need a minimum of 2 batteries and the more amps output the better. Invest in a small digital multimeter for some testing when things don't work. Trust me, you will need it. About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use. I am adding a photo link so you can see what one looks like. Randall http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks RandallKeep safe and have a great night

You are able to follow up here at any time and I am usually around most day and evenings until about 10 p.m. Pacific time. And you are most welcome! Be safe out there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!!!!

10-4. Have a good evening!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You too!

Thanks!