RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Smell gasoline near back bedroom in gulfstreamm rv 2000 440…

Smell gasoline near back...

Smell gasoline near back bedroom in gulfstreamm rv 2000 440 engine can this be a generator fume leak

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

All lines are good not sure about generator the compartment opposite from it has a strong smell

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '00 RV?

Thank you it is a 2000 gulfstream ultra supreme am an artist and musician and want to get this in best shape only 20k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

One mechanic could not although he could not check the generator or figure it out hard to find anyone here do you recommend anyone in 08244

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cannot get air conditioner to go on fuses are good I remember a rubber burning smell under the generator long time ago

9/22/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your RV. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online. I try to be online for about 10+ hours a day, midday and late-night shift.

• I assume you can smell the odor outside much stronger than inside?
  • Shut off the generator and wait about 10 minutes. Now sniff around the generator, and fuel tank area. Does it smell like exhaust or like liquid fuel?
thanks Chris actually I smell it most where the bedroom is in the back inside no that smell is not on the outside as if a vapor just stays in the backroom very strong there may be a separate issue with the injector mechanic smelled gas out of the exhaust thanks for any help

So are you saying there is no odor outside the camper? Are you sure you are smelling gas and not propane? If it is gas you have to smell it outside since there are no gas lines in the floor or walls of the bedroom.

Is the odor fuel or exhaust?

It is odor fuel fumes not outside

Thanks, ***** ***** going to be a leak in the fuel system either at the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, or on the generator the carb. You will need to visually inspect all of these parts to look for wet areas.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your question. If you need to follow up on this concern please use the reply button. If you like my answer please reply so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Thanks huddy its a puzzle no visible gas although when engine is on can smell a little gas in the exhaust!

Finding gas leaks are hard because they evaporate so fast. You may need to pressurize the system and watch for a pressure drop with the generator not running to find the leak.

Thanks that is a good start I appreciate this because I had nowhere to live and I couldn't stand being in there with the fumes and you know that it's also not safe like that so I appreciate you sharing your wisdom on this

Glad to help

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic