RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My norcold model 1210 which is 6 years old just stopped

Customer Question
My norcold model 1210...

My norcold model 1210 which is 6 years old just stopped cooling ,doesnt cool on gas or AC.It heats up on both modes but no cooling.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold appliance? What have you tried so far?

It started last Friday night only tried trying gas then a little later AC

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last replace the air filter for your Norcold air conditioner? Are the air vents unblocked?

Did not know there was a filter and the air vents are not blocked

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold air conditioner? What have you tried so far?

I am sorry if you misunderstood me I am talking about a refrigerator model 1210

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really Tyler

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 day by:
9/16/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Normally when you get no cooling in the box on both sources the thermistor or cooling unit is the problem. What you can do is disconnect the thermistor and let the fridge run for about 6 hours and see if the box cools, disconnecting the thermistor should put the fridge into a full cooling cycle and the box should get cold. One end of the thermistor clips to a fin in the back of the box, the other end will share the same connector with the interior light, disconnect it and let the fridge run.

IF that is not the issue the cooling unit is suspect, when the ammonia solution inside stops circulating you loose cooling, a cooling unit can rupture or become blokced, for a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge, for a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on both sources, if it cools on one source and not the other then it is not a cooling unit problem.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello Robert thanks for your reply I have followed your instructions and disconnected the thermistor from the internal light and left it running . I will contact you in 6 hours on the result , should the thermistor be the problem can you supply me with a new one ?There is no ammonia smell and no sign of yellowish powder any where .I am surprised that the fridge is giving me problems as it is only a little less than 6 years old . Again Robert thank you for your help cheers John

We do not sell parts on this site. It is a fairly common part so you should be able to find one online.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok Robert thank you

No problem at all.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Robert it is going to make a huge difference to our 5th wheel if we have to remove the fridge and replace with a domestic model my question is why can I not get something done to recharge the system and have a fridge freezer that cools and freezes. after 6 years I cant believe that a $ 7000.00 frig freezer is scrapped.and cannot be repaired.

The system is sealed meaning it should never need a recharge. I have seen brand new fridges fail as well these fridges run around 1500 not 7000. But still expensive, the cooling unit can be replaced, it will cost 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more to change the cooling unit out then replace it, many owners opt to replace the fridge.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Robert for your answer sorry for the delay in replying I have decided to replace the fridge and have started doing so is there anything I should be aware of in order to remove safely ? for instance do I have to remove the cooling container and,piping at the bottom of the fridge and cooling fins at the top of the unit in order to be able to remove fridge ?

The fridge will come out as one unit.

You would need to shut the propane off bleed at the stove and disconnect the line, disconnect the DC power going to the fridge and unplug it from the outlet.

If you have an ice maker disconnect the cord for that.

Then look outside for some feet with screws sometimes you will find the feet, if they have silicone under them it will need to be cut free.

Open the doors and look on the framing on the top, bottom and sides for some screws, may have screw cap covers over the screws, after the screws are out you should be able slide the fridge into the RV some card board on the floor may protect it. Also if you have an ice maker you do want to get to the line after you slide the fridge out some and then after it is disconnected nothing else would be connected to the fridge.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks Robert the fridge is now out nd a domestic 240 volt fridge is installed I do not require further help

Glad I could help some.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cacelled on 23rd Sept on a call to Robert I told him that the norcold frig was removed and replaced by a 230 vlt new frig so why have you removed $ 57.00 NZ from my credit card on 25th Sept a refund would be appreciated

Below is a link for customer service. Experts do not know the arrangements customers have. See link below they can assist you.

Robert

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us