RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We were getting ready to hitch up our 5th wheel in our side…

We were getting ready...

We were getting ready to hitch up our 5th wheel in our side yard which is on a slope downward. The hitch is actually sloping down. Our 5th wheel has been on its support stands fully extended. When we tried to hitch it to the Anderson hitch in the bed of the truck, the RV slipped and the front two supports are balancing precariously off kilter. What do I need to do? Should I use a bull dozer to try to get under the hitch to raise the RV back up? The problem is that I cannot get the hitch on the truck back under the RV 5th wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you had issues with the wheel before? Besides this, what condition is the vehicle in?

This is our maiden voyage with our Grand Design 31MB. The RV is brand new, 2021.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No,but it is more of a situational issue than a mechanical one.

9/13/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your RV. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online. I try to be online for about 10+ hours a day, midday and late-night shift.

In the future try not to park the camper on hilly terrain that is slopped enough that could damage the stabilizers. I recommend scotching the wheels good so it cannot roll anymore. Then I would use blocks of woods or concrete blocks and jacks from under the front of the camper to raise it up off the stabilizers on the frame rails. Once you get it up, then retract the stabilizers and then run them down again to support the camper so you can get the truck back under it.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your question. If you need to follow up on this concern please use the reply button. If you like my answer please reply so I can mark your question complete. Moose

We got it taken care of. Thank you so much for getting back to me.

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic