RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We bought a used rockwood mini lite. To check out the hot…

Customer Question
We bought a used...

We bought a used rockwood mini lite. To check out the hot water system today we turned it on propane when I bled the lines inside at the kitchen sink, our CO detector alarm went off. Thought that was strange. Then when I bled the shower hot water line the detector alarm went off again. Could there be an explanation or is it a coincedence?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what kind of lights are we talking about?

I'm not sure what you mean by lights? The alarm on the co dectector was blarring with red lights flashing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you confirm the model of your MINI? Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

2016 mini lite 2304ks. No that's my main question.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
9/13/2020
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome to Just Answer I'm Chris aka Moose, I'm sorry you are having problems with your RV. I will do my best to help you get this resolved. If I happen to be helping another or step away during our communication, please know I will follow up as soon as I am back available/online. I try to be online for about 10+ hours a day, midday and late-night shift.

This would not be a coincidence. This means there is or was gas in the hot water tank. I would open the water heater cover and see if the pressurized water is leaking out. If so then the propane burner tube in the water heater has burnt through. Rare but I have seen it happen. I have seen where some winterize using cheap Vodka. There may have been some Vodka odor that tricked the Carbon Monoxide detector. another possible cause would be if you were running the water pump and the battery voltage was dipping really low and this was setting off the detector.

Monitor the battery voltage and if the continues then I would have it checked out for propane leaks.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer, I hope I was able to answer your question. If you need to follow up on this concern please use the reply button. If you like my answer please reply so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Thank you. We're going to drain the hot water from the heater tomorrow and check the anode. Your answer makes sense. We'll take it from here. Thanks

Glad to help.