RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2003 holiday rambler scepter. We have lost all…

Customer Question
We have a 2003...

We have a 2003 holiday rambler scepter. We have lost all power in rv both shore power and 12 volt. Can you help me

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It has no power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Rambler?

2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We tried flipping all breakers and checked the fuses, and the power out side

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

We had one ac unit on and fridge and lights inside and tried to level it and the power went out.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2020
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you able to start the generator? IF so do you have power with it running? Make sure you disconnect the shore cord prior to starting the generator.

Also the power is split, AC power and DC power, the outlets, TV and microwave are strictly AC power, it is possible to have the AC power and not the DC power. The fridge and AC unit both need DC power to turn on and work so verify the outlets TV's and micrwave.
Robert

Gen will not start and we do have tv and microwave

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

You could have an issue with the battery disconnect solenoid. IF you have an interior switch inside the RV you will have a solenoid that allows the DC power into the RV.

Hit the switch inside and listen outside for a lick each time the interior switch is pushed if you can not locate the solenoid by sound go to the house battery and follow the cables, one cable will go to the solenoid. Once you locate the solenoid check for voltage on the LARGE posts, you would check voltage to ground on each side of the solenoid on the large posts, if only one side has voltage get an insulated wire and jump the posts and see if your power comes on. This applies if you have over 12 volts at the house batteries, if you have low voltage then the inverter is not charging.

Might want to have the batteries load tested if you find they have low voltage.

IF you do not have a volt meter you may want to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area, normally if you google RV mobile repair and the zip code you will get a listing of who is local. I used to do mobile RV repair in Oregon and would cover a 100 mile radius.
Robert

Thanks

No problem at all.

Robert